Stock Vs. Vented Rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Flush that brake system, loosing brakes on a very steep Mt Road sucks....ask mike how I know.

D

discomike

Justin,
I thought you gorgot about your loss of brakes on the mountain. Surprising what a brake flush will do to fix that.
Mike J.

jholewka

Reaction score
Uzbad said:
Jim - stop riding them brakes and use gears :)

Yea, it's all the urban offroad my wife does:) She says she hates the abs, i told her it never really comes on unless wet or snowy conditions AND hard braking, but she says it comes on alot especially on bumpy roads while making turns. I haven't felt the abs since the winter! Oh well, I guess it's all the autocrossing in the TR7 that she does.....

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody! Getting ready to do rears again, think I will use dimpled rotors & standard pads. Probably Wagner thermo-quiet pads, from local Napa. I've never had good results W/kevlar pads. Short life but less rotor wear has been my experience. The company I work for tried kevlar on mine & a few other service trucks, all W/same results. The really strange part is that it seemed to "coat" the rotor W/something that caused the next set of pads to stick momentarily when you released the brakes & took forever to correctly "settle in". BTW, W/our service trucks our co. mechanic does not turn rotors, he replaces them. Can't really blame him as our trucks are f*** econolines & have poor quality rotors. Justin is correct about changing your brake fluid, I change mine now, in all my vehicles every 12000 mi. Jim, your wife is right about the abs acting up. Mine does occasionally, but a friends does it almost all the time. I suspect deteriorating, soft brake lines. Take your wife to dinner, tell her how brillant she is and then feel free to buy all the new brake parts you want & need.LRW

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jholewka said:
Yea, it's all the urban offroad my wife does:) She says she hates the abs, i told her it never really comes on unless wet or snowy conditions AND hard braking, but she says it comes on alot especially on bumpy roads while making turns. I haven't felt the abs since the winter! Oh well, I guess it's all the autocrossing in the TR7 that she does.....
The sound that you are talking about is actually the 4X4 system engaging. When one or more wheels loose traction a brake (the ABS sound you here) is applied to that wheel so that more power can be applied to that axle. On most conventional 4X4 systems, once you have wheel slippage alll power is lost for that entire axle.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim - i understand her totally, b/c ABS on my Disco (94, no ETC or other magical enhancements) totally freaks me out when i am descending hills by kicking in. However i found out that if you really really pursuade it to break then ABS just turns off, ABS light will come up. And then it all resets after you shut truck down and let it sit for few minutes. Mystery :)

But seriously - its not rotors, its style. I went through my first rotors and pads on brand new Grand Cherokee in about 8 months. Without offroading :) Now my XTerra going over 30K on one set of pads :) With offroading and living not in Houston (YESSS!) but in mountains (i.e lots of climbing descending). You just need to tell her to use gears :) (Time will tell how far Disco will go with them cool rotors and pads - by now its just few thousands).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72