Stock Vs. Vented Rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Revving up to replace my front brakes (Rears can come later) and I would like something "performance" without going overboard. I'm not an extreme offroader, more or less the casual trail-blazer type guy. Would you recommend sticking with the stock factory Disco brakes or moving up to vented rotors - and if so what are some of your recommendations on types.

Thanks; And once I switch out the pads and brakes I'll be sure to photo-document it all for future reference.

Rich

D

discomike

Rich,
I decided to get some more stopping power also a year ago and switched to DBA slotted and drilled rotors. Those along with some kevlar pads made a hugh difference on my 99 D2.
You should also plane to flush out all your old brake fluid and go to a synthetic brake fluid like the one offered by Vavoline.
Depending on the mileage you might also look at steel brake lines over the rubber.
Each of these changes made a nice difference when it comes to stopping.
Good luck,
Mike J.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Rich,

I looked into this awhile back for my '97 Disco. There are only a couple of people out there that even offer the upgrade to the vented front rotors for the D1. And the cost is not on the cheap side, but I have heard lots of good things about how well it does work. I know I just ordered new brakes for the Rear of my Disco (EBC dimpled rotors) as it was for the whole package including bearings and seals etc. I am priced in at a hair over $300 just for the rear.

If I recall to upgrade the front to vented you are talking around $500 or more. And remember once you have done this, you can't just order brake parts just anywhere, you have to special order just about everthing....hmmm never mind we have to special order just about everything now.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then again - i upgraded mine for 149$ for set of 4 disks.
For D1.
And no special parts required for mine :)

EBC pads seems to be doing acceptable job. Not that there is incredible
stopping power gain (its heavy truck), but it surely works bit better than stock.

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
For the $149 is the just the disks or disks, pads, bearings, seals....etc. Also was that the upgrade to the front going to vented like the D2.... not just sloted or drilled or dimpled?

C

campbell

I have heard that stainless brake lines are a significant improvement. The slotted/drilled rotors are going to make a whizzing sound when applied. Kind of like a formula one car or similar race car. Pretty cool sound, just may get a bit annoying.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just disks. No need for any upgrades, they were just plug-n-play. Pads are green stuff from EBC - usual ones for D1. Like 49/axle or something like that. My old ones were ok, but i wanted to make full upgrade, so now i got full set of ferrodo pads (or oem - no idea) laying somewhere about in garage.

Bearings would be about 120$ i sppse to replace them all, but there was no point, old ones were ok. So were seals.

They all slotted and drilled, but not vented (i.e its not looking like sandwitch).

Stainless steel lines - it depends how bad your old brake lines were. If they were giving up - then yes. Overwise its same performance wise (yes i have Paragon Performance ones :))

D

discomike

Steel brake lines do make a difference. Slotted and drilled rotors do not make a whizzing sound, and there are not a lot of extra parts required to use DBA rotors.
Rich, you might want to go to the Expedition Exchange web site and read up on the DBA's.
Take care,
Mike J.

jholewka

Reaction score
When I first got the disco, the first order was to upgrade the brakes. I went with the crossdrilled rotors and kevlar pad set up from DAP. The rotors are DBA and the brakeing did improve, as for the longevity of pad life, well at 10,000 miles the front pads where shot! I know it's a heavey truck, but front pads at 10,000 miles. I knew the disco was heavey on frt brakes and switching would make it better, imagine if I kept the stock rotors. Anyway, I renewed the pads and had the rotors cut so it's back in action and I just got the crossdrilled for the 92 RR, and that was a nice improvement, we'll see how the longevity go's on that one.
Regards
Jim
97 disco
92 RR

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim - stop riding them brakes and use gears :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72