Strange VIN?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

MrDoug

I tried searching, but the search parameters of the forum don't allow for the searching of the word "vin" (Typical of most car forums I frequent...you'd think that'd be a no-brainer.) Anywho...my question...

I tried running a carfax on my vin, and I get "Invalid VIN" and when I try to look it up, I get the same errors...nobody has seen a vin that has a letter as the last digit.

SALHC1341SA65553H

http://www.hardman.org/pix/rover/rover-Pages/Image73.html

I've found two other 1995 LWBs that have that same sticker, same build month, and a number for the last digit.

Any ideas???

M

MrDoug

Yeah, but I can also put "SALHC1341SA6HIMOM" as my VIN, and it shows me a RR.

I'm digging through the internet for info on VIN numbers that have a letter as the last digit.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I beleive the part about the Appending A - H is what I ment for you see... sorry

Please check that you really typed in all the characters of the numbers, paying attention to, e.g., a leading R or L for serial numbers for Series I, or the appending A, B, C, ..., H for Series II and Series III, or the general SAL code for the new international VIN codes.

M

MrDoug

I understood. My point is that I could type anything in the last 6 and it'd still work.

This VIN is SALHC1341SA65553H. I can change the H at the end to anything and it still works on that calculator. In fact, I can make the last 6 letters anything I want and it still works, so I think it's just looking at everything but the last 7 digits, and assuming that they are the serial number. ANY other vin that I've found ends in a number...not a letter.

If I put this VIN into CARFAX, it barks at me....any other vehicle history calculator does the same thing. "Invalid Vin" because the last number is a letter.

I thought the car may have been grey-market, but the european VINs I'm finding are the same way.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
hmmm good point, sorry I must be having one of those days....

I would call your local Land Rover dealer and ask them... they normally are willing to help with Vin info and such. I bought my Disco just below Cleveland and called Akron LR about any service issues before I bought it. They willingly provided any info that I asked about.

W

wimvandorst

MrDoug said:
This VIN is SALHC1341SA65553H. I can change the H at the end to anything and it still works on that calculator. In fact, I can make the last 6 letters anything I want and it still works, so I think it's just looking at everything but the last 7 digits, and assuming that they are the serial number. ANY other vin that I've found ends in a number...not a letter.

If I put this VIN into CARFAX, it barks at me....any other vehicle history calculator does the same thing. "Invalid Vin" because the last number is a letter.

I thought the car may have been grey-market, but the european VINs I'm finding are the same way.

Hi Doug, thanks for pointing out a opportunity for improvement for CalVIN. As it's maintainer I may well do something with it.

Carfax and the other systems may well be correct: the 17 character VIN that is on cars is somewhat standardized, although I haven't seen the ISO standard on it yet. However it is indeed so that for many car brands, and certainly for Land Rover, the last six characters are numeric and designate the serial number.

The 'H' on your plastic thing is a clerical error. It should have been a '2', decidedly. I can be so sure, as the USA/Canada VINs have a checksum code in it, which CalVIN checks. And it will only give a 'checksum OK' with that '2'.

The best method of confirming this is is to check this plate with the real VIN, viz., with the one on the metal of the car (see on the paperwork where to find it). I'm guessing you'll find a '2' instead of an 'H' on the chassis.

Met vriendelijke groeten, Wim van Dorst

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72