tail gate latch failure (2nd time)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's it. Thanks!

I asked my dealer to quote the modifcation for me. If they can do it in an hour, its better than me being stuck, on vacation, far from a dealership and a paved road with a hatch that won't open. That's what happened the last two times. If they can do the retrofit for $150 or less, that is likely worth my time and cheaper than the parts I'll break trying to do it on my own (and the tools I'll have to buy!)

The dealer did think it was odd that I would pay for this work when I have another 25,000 on my extended that would cover the repair. I had to remind him what a pain in the ass it is to bring a truck in for service...and to be stuck when you're away on a trip. I'd rather pay to have it fixed right then to have them give me another fix that only lasts 12 months before failing without warning.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer implemented a similar fix for an hour labor. They sounded pretty happy about it ("that cable is never sliding out!") and I got the impression this modification may be offered to future customers as an option.

Just goes to show that if you give someone the authority to think outside the box ("please...do something other than just what LR tells you to do which is to put the same faulty mechanism back in there") they'll find the work interesting and will learn from it.

Now I'll just hope that the factory L hook on the end of the cable wasn't breaking because some other part was exerting too much force! LOL We'll see if something breaks further up the chain...

girltrek

Reaction score
This problem has been intermittent on my RR as well. I brought it in to the dealer for repair, but it was working that day? Finding the a resolution to a working part was difficult to isolate, so I was told that once being "locked out" starts it is best to change all the parts on the rear latch system. $$

About a year ago to the day I was 400 miles from my dealer, truck loaded up with people and gear and the rear hatch wouldn't open. It turned out that a cable inside the tailgate had come loose and the only fix was for the dealer to dismantle the tailgate from the inside so the mechanism could be released, and I suppose the cable replaced. I was told this was a known problem where, over time, the cable pulls out of the latch mechanism. ...or something like that. Point is, you can't open the lift glass so your rear is stuck closed. It is pretty inconvenient.

Happened again yesterday. Had a couple bikes loaded in the back, went to open it up and no dice. You can hear the electronic latch moving inside but it doesn't trigger anything.

So, I called my dealer and will bring it in next week.

I'm sure it will get fixed, but am concerned that this is a design defect that will pop up once a year for me. It is never convenient, but at least this time I was close to home. And when my extended warranty expires it'll be even worse.

Does anyone have any suggestions for when I talk to my dealer next week? I wasn't sure if there is a TSB for this or if they'll just plug a new cable back in and the same thing is likely to happen. I don't know if it is worth having them grease the linkage and cable more than usual so everything slides with less friction. Or, is there another part of the system which may not move freely (salt air corrosion from beach trips?) that I should pay attention too. The latch looks pretty clean externally, anyway.

Appreciate any tips and to know if this has happened to anyone else.

Thanks!

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took this matter in my own hands and used EPOXY glue on L shape hook and plastic part of actuator.I always try to act proactively and this works for me whatsoever.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This problem has been intermittent on my RR as well. I brought it in to the dealer for repair, but it was working that day? Finding the a resolution to a working part was difficult to isolate, so I was told that once being "locked out" starts it is best to change all the parts on the rear latch system. $$

Get it fixed before it fails on you when you're far from home with the truck loaded up!

Since you already have partial failure, you should be able to emphasize that and get it fixed under warranty. The fix will last about 30,000 miles before the part fails again so if you plan on keeping the truck a while, you may want to get the dis-assembly covered under warranty but pay to have the fix mentioned above implemented. That should keep it from happening again.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This just happpened to me. I opened it up on a snowy morning and it just stopped working after that. I had my snowboard case in there and had to jimmy it out the doors. Waiting on the part to fix it. They said they may have to order a new back panel (color matched) because sometimes they have to essentially break their way in. Sounds like a pretty crappy problem.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked into the other forum and the pics are no longer available (even logged in). Anyone have a good description of the permanent fix work done that I can take to my local mechanic (I use them now because I"m on extended warranty). He'll just bill the insurance for the fix.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked into the other forum and the pics are no longer available (even logged in). Anyone have a good description of the permanent fix work done that I can take to my local mechanic (I use them now because I"m on extended warranty). He'll just bill the insurance for the fix.

I don't have the pictures, but the stock connection is just an angle on the end of the cable. It slips into the lever mechanism. It isn't secured so as the resistance on the mechanism gets harder the angle (hook) will eventually slip out or break off.

The fix is to loop a piece of cable through the mechanism and crimp it back to itself. This insures that the cable will never come off.

Landlover25

Reaction score
Quickfix To Open A Back Gate

Pop Off The Land Rover Emblem On The Back Gate With A Key And Take Your Fingers And Press That Silver Handle In All The Way If You Have Any Wd40 Near Spray It And It Will Push In Much Easier Anyway Pop That Decal Back On And Open The Gate Like Normal But Remember This Is A Quick Fix You Have To Do This Every Time You Open It....but It Opens Right!
Goodluck All You Landy Lovers!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635