technical differences between discovery 3 & LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw 7 LR3's in Chicago today, more than usual. What was even more bizarre was that I saw a Discovery 3 today. Re-badged or import left hand drive. I have never seen a Discovery 3 stateside before. Chap must have stripped the LR3 moniker for the Discovery 3 emblem on the back. Looked pretty good I must admit. He also had the a frame and spots with the large LR roof rack. The D3 had a special sticker on the back window "Land Rover Special Edition" blah blah Couldn't read all of it. Maybe LR released a few limited editions here?

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, the problems were world-wide not just in NA.

The D1 was a big gamble for LR but it paid off big time.

The D2 under the ownership of BMW was just a “cash in” that did not work because of the reliability problems, that LR are still paying for.

The D3/LR3 is virtually a completely new vehicle but the name Discovery was a big NO NO in NA.

NA had more complaints made public about LR than probably anywhere else and rightfully so because in the long run, the vehicle was so bad over there, that there was only one way to go, if they wanted to stay in the NA market.

I’m not a Ford fan but they have worked wonders for LR and I’m sorry they sold it on.

I don’t know how in worked in the USA but over here, BMW dealers were also LR dealers and for the most part this situation still stands. The irony is that BMWs are now anything but reliable while the D3 and the latest version of the L322 RR are proving to be bullet proof, thanks mainly to Ford.

As far as LR looking at a different type of customer, I think you will find that this is the very reason the RRS was introduced ( but thats another story ).

Last edited by a moderator:

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my Rovers, their capability, and their character; yet they have their foibles. Our LR3 has been decently reliable, but it does have a few issues that they dealer has been unable to resolve (screeching ignition, groaning alternator(?)) Lease end is in three months, so I'll let the next owner take-up where I left off....

Our 6 month old $86K MSRP FFRR just sprung a leak at the A-pillar; headliner, a-pillar cover, door, carpet, and speakers are all soaked. Nothing, that we have not already experienced with the LR3. Wife was disappointed, but shrugged with acceptance. Were it our old Lexus, she would have demanded a replacement vehicle......

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the biggest reason for the name change is actually two reasons. LR feels after a survey NA buyers like number designations more than names. I don't know if I agree with that finding, and second of all the Discovery name is tied to JD Powers reliability surveys etc, so if they continued the name in the US, the old data would be tied to the new D3 (LR3) and thus negative ratings would be as well initially. My LR3 is actually badged Discovery 3 w00t.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
et tu MustBeAudi?

Yes, the Freelander brake lights were a little silly in he NA market (and frankly for offroading as they where quickly covered in mud), but LR did address them for the '04 model and there were quite a few good write-ups on various boards for re-wirining the reverse lights to the brake lights (which was the '04 change). In terms of quality, I'd wager that rougly 10% of all NA freelanders were lemons, and few made it past 100k miles without significant repairs; however, they were truly unique vehicles in NA - again, we were paying for something specific that simply wasn't the proper cup of tea for most of the NA population. Luckily we never had any major repairs, and the vehicle never left us stranded... My wife still prefers the look of the Freelander to the D3 (blasphemy for some of you, I'm sure) as the D3 simply isn't interesting enough in her eyes. Unfortunately we both felt LR killed the distinctiveness with the LR2 - a nice vehicle, but no real outstanding features - which probably makes it a great vehicle for most of the population!

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a good sense of humor, gtc. I like this board. CoMc also makes the same point that applies to so many silly names in this market, like all those alpha Caddys and Lincolns of no useful name differentiation, Acura's conversion a few years back, and so on. Kind of interesting that the new Hyundai Genisis is not a GN38 or something.
I was feeling a little grumpy last night, gtc. Should have been in bed with wife, but instead responded to RonLR3's silliness and got carried away.

ronLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a good sense of humor, gtc. I like this board. CoMc also makes the same point that applies to so many silly names in this market, like all those alpha Caddys and Lincolns of no useful name differentiation, Acura's conversion a few years back, and so on. Kind of interesting that the new Hyundai Genisis is not a GN38 or something.
I was feeling a little grumpy last night, gtc. Should have been in bed with wife, but instead responded to RonLR3's silliness and got carried away.

What siliness is that? It figures, you must be a republican.

D90

Reaction score
The new name worked on my wife. She viewed the LR3 as similar to the Range Rover. She will never take her LR3 offroad, she just liked the idea of having a seven seater Range Rover. If it was called a Discovery 3 she would have put it in the discovery category that she had already written off. She views the Discovery as more similar to the Defender we had, and she hated that truck.

So the LR3 name is working on the soccer moms of the nation.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR3 helped me get my wife into it as well, she hates the discos
I miss a vehicle with a name. I hate numbers and letters on vehicles that dont make sense.
I want a name!!! Mabie they should tatoo it on the owners :0

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99