Temp.control in Red

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F

fbrems

Hey Rover fans. As my (dealer extended) guarantee just expired, my RR-2001 with 40k.Km, starting to get his first issues. Suddenly after a short run the red light of the Temperature Control came on with a boiling overflow tank. This is usual a thermostat failure or hose leak and simple to be solved. Unfortunately I was 350km away from my workshop and in contradiction to my Disco which has a full toolkit and spares in the back, I had to tow the car to the local dealer at that place, with following conclusion: Nothing wrong with the thermostat, Matrix seal is leaking and the whole dashboard is to be dismantled to replace one O ring. Had not much of a selection to make as I needed the car to get back. 5 hours later. 3$ for the ring and 190$ manpower, the RR drove out the workshop in working condition. Well still I do not get it. How it overheats! Due to a Matrix leak? There were no messages on the display window. Can somebody help me to clarify what is to me a total mystery?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I will be the first to chim in on this "I have no idea", I Would have put my money on the t-stat as well.

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the leak in the heater core seal caused an air pocket to form which then led to the overheating situation.

F

fbrems

Coolant smell

Yes, it seems to be a bit of a mystery. Since I got the RR back, the temperature control is back to normal. But the story is not finish. Now I get a strong coolant smell in the car while driving. After reading the threads of Landy Man > Poolerpond I am getting worry about my head gaskets. I checked for this NAPA test kit but so far I could not find it in the regional car chops. If no leaks appear, where is this coolant smell coming from? must be an other RR mystery!!!!

The RR can be the best car of the world, but if I have to change the head gaskets on a vehicle which I really pampered from new, with just 40.000km, sorry Rover Fans, but that’s it, getting sick and tired of thinking all the time that my Disco or RR can leave me down anywhere at any time.

F

fbrems

Well, it is still an issue. Even by just warming up the car, the cooling smell is noticeable. I observed the cooling tank level for some time and no cooling is escaping and the level remains steady. I verified for any pressure in the cooling tank (in case compression gasses are filling the cooling system as suggested at other threads) but no bubbles and no pressure occurs. What if I check the compression of each cylinder? If the packing is passing, my compression must be down somewhere!

N

nsx4pete

My 2 cents!
I just replaced the o-rings myself this weekend because I had a major coolant leak from the heater core o-rings on the right hand passenger side. the coolant spilled all over the carpeting and saturated it. The reason you are smelling the coolant is because even though the mechanic changed the o-ring (for a great price I must add - $1000-1400 is the usual cost), your carpet remained saturated with the coolant. Go ahead and test this out. Stick your nose to the carpeting on the passenger side and take a sniff. You need to rinse out your carpeting. The way I did this was to saturate the carpet with shampoo cleaner and let it sit. then pour some warm or hot water on the carpet to rinse out the coolant. It will all drain out just under the doors behind the front tire. Of course it is also advisable to scrub the carpet with some cleaner to **** off the smell. Let us know how it turns out.
Peter

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635