temperature - avoidng over heating in the summer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pjvarc

Reaction score
hello,

here is question maybe dumb but since we are approaching summer soon what should my gauge be in terms of temperature. my 2003 is always right in the middle not too hot not too cold. even if the weather is cool is always right in the middle. living by the coast its always cool however should i be concern if the outside temperatures increases to 100?

my mechanic advise my radiator has cold spots and i should replace the radiator. this could quite expensive so i have decided to wait it out and monitor my temperature and coolant.

do anyone think a coolant flush with avoid me from replacing the radiator?

thanks,

20003 disco 82k miles.

pjvarc

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a hungry mechanic wanting to make a few busks.
As long as you change your coolant, Dexcool, every 2 years and add a bottle of either Water Wetter or Purple Ice, you will be in good shape. I have done a lot of wheeling in the high deserts of California and Death Valley where it was 120 plus outside, ran the a/c all day and idled sometimes for 1/2 an hour or more with no problems.
The one thing you want to check is your front electric cooling fan. Is it running when either while the a/c has been on for a few minutes or you are doing a lot of stop and go in town driving.driving

pjvarc

Reaction score
thanks mike,

seems like i do have a hungry mechanic but they do come highly recommended. i will purchase water wetter and check my front elect cooling fan.

pjvarc

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A coolant flush certainly wouldn't hurt.

Do you know the maint. history of your truck?

Was the coolant serviced at proper intervals? (replace every 30k miles)

If no, or you don't know, the mechanic may be right.

If you don't do it yourself, ask him for a quote both for radiator and for flush.

It's not unheard of that the rad gets plugged/partially plugged due to lack of maint.

The flush may be around $100 radiator could run to $1000

let us know how it works out

luck,greg.

Last edited:

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First steps are the flush (make sure your thermostat is good at the same time).
Make sure your fan clutch is working well.
Keep an eye on the engine temp.
If it starts creeping up in hot weather, then you may in fact need a new radiator.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a hungry mechanic wanting to make a few busks.
As long as you change your coolant, Dexcool, every 2 years and add a bottle of either Water Wetter or Purple Ice, you will be in good shape. I have done a lot of wheeling in the high deserts of California and Death Valley where it was 120 plus outside, ran the a/c all day and idled sometimes for 1/2 an hour or more with no problems.
The one thing you want to check is your front electric cooling fan. Is it running when either while the a/c has been on for a few minutes or you are doing a lot of stop and go in town driving.driving

Hey Mike;

Sounds like you are a good tester for heat related disco products - so - which do you prefer Water Wetter or Purple Ice? And what do they really do for your cooling system - in practicle terms (i.e., I have used both on general principle but I do not know if they are doing that much and, these days, anything with that Royal Purple label on - is getting very pricey).

Wolf

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM