the keys...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

toddjb123

first off - bought it! been lookin' at this car for a while and found almost the exact one i wanted sitting on the lot yesterday (Tonga HSE). So, I bought it. Didn't mind my old car at all, but, the durango had 110K on it. So, how many miles will I get on the LR3 before all these electronic systems start to go??? (air shocks, nav, 5 sets of stereo controls, etc.)....

anyway, great key remote and all that, but, its pretty big. i know, this is how all the cool new remotes are. call me old school, but i liked the slim old key fobs that left you the option of using a standard key if you wanted and weren't so big in your pocket.

so, my question - is there any way to get a key made for this beast? not a new remote (that question is next). say you wanted to leave a hide a key on the car or wanted a slim key that was easy to put in a shoe pocket or something when you go for a jog...what do you do? heck, even if it didn't start the car, that would be okay - just a copy of the key itself so you could open the door would be nice.

seen any options?

that said, where is the best place to buy an extra remote? anyone have cheaper options than the dealer? how much is it anyway...dealer thought it would be a couple hundred. that's a lot to lose on a beach.... :)

looking forward to enjoying this vehicle,
-todd

D

disco1

With regards to hiding your key, there are a multitude of places on your vehicle you can do it. You could purchase a magnetic key holder and attach just about anywhere, but to be on the safe side, I'd assist the magnet by screwing it to whatever. I have mine, secured in a little plastic water proof box which sits securely on top of my petrol tank, just behind the rear wheel. Even though you do not like the size of your key, everything has a silver lining. You could use it for defence; hold it between your fore and middle finger, with the butt of it pressed into your palm as you clench your fist and hit your attacker.

T

texas911

I hate the key. First its way to big. Second its symetrical so it hard to press the buttons by feel. The buttons feel the same in the dark. Also the blade should not lock in place when open so you can just close it without pushing the release button. I've owned two Mercedes's with the same type key and its better executed. The newest key does away with the blade altogether and that makes better sense. And its way to big!

T

toddjb123

disco1 - nope, nothing in that website yet on the LR3/DISC3 key fob. Will have to ask the dealer.

Where did you find a magnetic box big enough to hold this key?

Also, do you think you should be screwing things into your petrol tank? :)

D

disco1

I hope I haven't given the impression that I've screwed into the petrol tank. What i did was find a small plastic box that the key would fit into, glued a strong round magnet to the base of the box. This I then sat on top of the petrol tank just behind the hose that goes to the petrol cap.

T

toddjb123

Just kidding! (didn't really think you'd throw a screw in there...)

Good to know, I'll have to look around, price a spare key fob, and find a place to put it.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Even though you do not like the size of your key, everything has a silver lining. You could use it for defence; hold it between your fore and middle finger, with the butt of it pressed into your palm as you clench your fist and hit your attacker."

Yesterday at lunch, someone thought my key was a cell phone.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, so I clicked open the key and answered it: "hello?"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635