The LR3 Look

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

BigMike

Does anybody know if Ford is responsible for the LR3 body style? The reason I ask, is that my first SUV was a Ford Bronco II. IMHO, the LR3 looks like a sleeker version of my old BII.

S

simonharper

Its the work of good old Brit design at LR Gaydon/Solihull... Geoff Upex and his team.

-s

B

BigMike

That's a real surprise. It will sell because it's a LR, but, I just feel like they've taken the character out of the appearance of the truck.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will sell because it's a LR? Do you realize how bad Land Rover's reliability reputation is in the US? Why do you think the Discovery name was abandoned here? ;-)

Huh? No character. I disagree. Personal taste, of course. Other than the basic "SUV" shape that is common to all SUVs (box/rectangle), I don't think it looks anything like the Bronco II.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BigMike

The LR3 -- A look that sells!

<<It will sell because it's a LR? Do you realize how bad Land Rover's reliability reputation is in the US? Why do you think the Discovery name was abandoneded here? ;-)>>

Yes, it will sell because it's a LR. I live in LA. Appearances matter more than substance. I once had a job as an assistant to a semi-famous actress. When her LR had to be in the shop for several days, she threw a major (w)itch fit. When I told her manager, his response was, "Doesn't she have another car?" My sing-songy reply to him was, "Of course she does, but you know how these people are, she wants her Range Rover. She can't be seen in the Jeep anymore."

That's why you buy two or more high end cars. When one's in the shop, you have a back-up.

It doesn't matter what the reputation is, it's still a Land Rover. In La La Land, that's all that matters.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Disco II SE-7 and I have looked at the LR3. To me the LR3 has addressed almost all the concerns I have with the DiscoII. I have not had a chance to drive it and will assume it is a good ride. The bigest beef with my Disco is the lack of storage space in the back to store stuff such as booster cables, tools etc. I also hate the Barn Door and like the LR3 tailgate. I do some home renovations as well as build some furniture and to be able to take the wood home with me is a bonus!

B

BigMike

This comes down to a matter of taste and function. I owned a Bronco II and to me the LR3 looks like one in the lines of its design. Some folks don't see that and that's OK. Jaak doesn't like the "barn door" on the Disco and I'm sure a lot of people feel that way. I personally love the "barn door" because I tend to keep cars for 5-7 years and sometime in the 7th year, the overhead hatch struts start to give. A month before I bought my Disco II SE 7, a security guard at my job opened the back of my '97 Jeep Cherokee and got KONKED in the head when the hatch didn't stay up. Not being of the mechanical, let's dig in and fix this, works with your hands sort, that's when I knew it was time to start car shopping.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635