Time for New Plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About to roll over to 84k miles on my 2005 4.4L. I want to change the plugs out myself to save the money on labor. Are NGK ifr5n10 okay to use? Also, I pulled the engine cover off, but am a bit stumped as to where the plugs are located. I have changed plugs on several vehicles other than Land Rovers..

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't bother. Unless you're experiencing some fault code that is directly related to the ignition system (in which case, it might be better to have a dealer do the work) there is no reason to change the plugs. Search for other threads on the subject, I think you will find few posts that say it was a worthwhile expenditure of time or money. I replaced my plugs at 75,000 miles. The old plugs looked like the new, only in a slight light brown finish.

If you decide to continue, it's not the easiest job to do. Remove the engine cover, remove the plastic coil cover. Each plug has it's own coil, disconnect the electrical connector and remove the single bolt. On the left bank, you will likely need to remove the heat shield and on the right bank you will need to remove the breather valve. Each plug is deep down in the hole. The front plugs are easier the rear plugs need multiple socket extensions to get just the right amount of reach. Too short and you won't reach the socket. Too long and the extension won't fit. Before you start, have on hand a selection of various length socket extensions and flex joints

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips and advice. I think I'll just stick it out with the plugs that are currently fitted on there. I haven't had any issues with power loss or misfire so I'll wait it out.

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plugs are recommended at 90k miles for your lr3 and once you remove a plug you can see the ngk part number right on there all you gotta do is call your auto parts store and have them cross refrence them way cheaper than buying it through land rover its the exact same plug

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interstingly, the NGK plugs look different than the OEM. Take a look at the tips in the picture at British Parts (Link in post above this one.) The plug tips look completely different. Could it be that the OEM LR tips are irridium and the NGK generic are not?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112