TMPS Issue Codes C1D21-05 and C1D18-00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkiWill

Reaction score
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have a 2012 LR4 and a couple of days ago noticed that the front passenger tire pressure sensor was no longer communicating with the TMPS. Then, shortly after, I received the general (and fairly useless) warning of "TPMS Fault" and the tire pressure warning light blinks for about a minute and becomes solidly illuminated. I read fault code C1D18-00 with my GAP IID tool.

I went to the local tire shop, they installed new sensors on two wheels that they found to be faulty on the passenger side. Not sure of the exact model number, but they said that they could not use universal sensors for the Land Rover, but I am unsure if they are aftermarket or genuine JLR. After the two sensors were installed I have driven the 15+ minutes at over 18 mph indicated in the owner's manual, but the new sensors have failed to be adequately detected apparently.

Now I read codes C1D21-05 (2F) wheel module general failure information - system programming failure and C1D18-00 (2F) localisation failed.

I have a 2012 that is not subject to the recall associated with TMPS for the 2013 and 2014 models according to my search with JLR. I also found a Technical Service Bulletin for 2010 and 2011 that indicates that for code C1D18-00 all four sensors should be replaced simultaneously. That seems a bit ridiculous that you could not change out one or two faulty sensors, but could that be the case for the 2012?

I have read on a Range Rover forum that either all 4 sensors have to be OEM or all 4 have to be aftermarket. If there is any mix and match, that will cause a fault, but that was related to earlier model vehicles covered under the TSB.

It seems there are a couple of other threads that touch on these sorts of TPMS oddities, but complete resolution and explanation is not posted.

Is there a way to further troubleshoot with the GAP IID tool? I'd really rather not go with the just keep throwing a couple hundred dollars at a time and hope something sticks without being able to troubleshoot this a little further.

Thanks,
Will

SkiWill

Reaction score
Well, just wanted to close the loop on this in case anyone has any issues in the future based on the overwhelming responses and interest. ;)

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

The C1-D18-00 (2F) code indicates that two or more TMPS sensors have failed.

The C1-D21-05 (2F) code indicates that one ore more TMPS sensors are not reading properly. In my case, the new 315 MHz sensors provided by NAPA to the shop were reading pressure, had good battery, and were responding as expected to the TMPS scan tool. However, the Land Rover would not read these sensors properly and continued to indicate the TMPS fault. I have no explanation for this as they were transmitting at the correct frequency and could easily be read by other tools.

We tried 4 NAPA sensors, 2 NAPA sensors and 2 OEM sensors, and had the same result. After purchasing 4 VDO OEM sensors and installing, the issue is resolved and my TPMS light is off and real time display on my GAP tool shows that the sensors are being read properly by the Land Rover.

Also, the VDO sensors are about $50 coming in a VDO box from Rock Auto or about $120 for the same sensor in a Land Rover box.

A big thanks to Tire World in Salt Lake City for helping me track this down and swapping sensors back and forth to get this resolved.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV