TPMS threshold PSI question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skunkape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the low pressure PSI is to activate the warning light?

I get the message to "check spare tire pressure". It measures around 35psi. Im trying to figure out if I have a faulty TPMS sensor in my spare tire or I have a slow leak and I need to keep the pressure above 40 psi?

Thanks in advance

samterri

Reaction score
I just bought the same truck as yours about two month ago, minus the HD. Been having the same problem and realized the passenger front tire is leaking about 20 psi every seven days. I've been keeping my psi around 40 on all tires. Heading to the repair shop in the morning. Good luck.

Sam

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a slow leak in one of my Goodyear HP's for about six months before replacing the set a few weeks ago (Toyo Open Country's). My TPMS warning light came on consistently at around 36-38 psi. I imagine there is an actual setting for this.

Skunkape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys
I found a post that indicated 30psi for the fronts and 36 for the rears and the spare. I just measured 35 on my spare and filled it up to 45 which cleared the message. So my TPMS is working as designed and I need to fix a slooow leak in my spare.

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys
I found a post that indicated 30psi for the fronts and 36 for the rears and the spare. I just measured 35 on my spare and filled it up to 45 which cleared the message. So my TPMS is working as designed and I need to fix a slooow leak in my spare.

Yep, mine was the passenger side rear.

samterri

Reaction score
Just took my truck in for the leaking tire and found out the sensor was cracked and the air was coming out of the stem area. The shop couldn't find the part in their catalogue and said to take it to the dealer. He put the full size spare on, left the trouble tire flat and Land Rover can't see me until next Thursday! Hopefully, I won't have a flat before then.

Sam

clarkritchie

Reaction score
I have the same question.

I recently put 4 new wheels (swapped from another LR3) and tires on my '08 LR3 HSE HD. The TPMS sensor went off about 10 days after getting the new wheels/tires, and IIRC 2 of the 4 were ~1.5 PSI below recommended. I topped up all tires cold, inc. the spare, but the fault did not clear. I had my local indy shop clear the fault (TPMS blinks then goes solid -- which I think means "fault").

(I was told that, unlike other manufacturers like Toyota, you do not have to load the TPMS codes for new wheels into the computer.)

Well, it happened again about 10 days later, and once again, I think 2 of the tires were ~1.5 PSI below recommended. I topped them up cold, the fault did not clear itself, and I haven't been able to get down to the shop yet.

Scenario A: I have a slow leak in 2 of my tires, and >=1.5 PSI is enough to trigger the system. Inflating to the recommended PSI does not clear the code.

Scenario B: I have a bonafide problem with my TPMS system.

I'm thinking it's B. Any thoughts?

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was reading some of these posts as I had a recent issue with my TPMS sensor.
Has anyone had their TPMS valve stems break off? I've had two that have done this now resulting in me losing all the air in the tire blowing out the valve stem. The issue seems to be the aluminum used in the TPMS valve stems has a very limited life span.
What are my alternatives?
I bought a set of 4 replacement ones a number of years ago so I'm looking for new ones to replenish. But I don't want to run into the situation of cheap materials and the damn things breaking off again. The last time I was fortunately at West Point MA for some training but it still took 2 1/2 hours to get the spare on - the OEM tire changing kit sucks ass, broke, and the replacement socket I got with a 24" breaker went missing from my tool kit in the vehicle. But the point is I was using the air compressor I carry to check all the tire pressures before going on a 240 mile trip into the field. I barely put the hose connection on and the valve stem broke right off.
Thus, now that I'm looking for replacement valve stems and replacement TPMS sensors I would like to get ones that are more durable than the OEM ones I have.
Suggestions?
Thanks.
Stupid design I think!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM