Track width change from rim/tyre change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe no thread yet has looked at this particular aspect of tyres and rims... I need to know whether BFGs 265/65-18 on Compomotive rims result in a wider track (in an LR4) than the factory 255/55-19s (OEM rims/tyres). No other mods, spacers, etc. Anybody knows? I'm looking at buying property with a very narrow garage access driveway (tall curbs, the walls are not a problem) and even an extra inch on each side would complicate matters.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll start the fun. It's been a while since I've dug into the wheel / tire stuff.

If I remember right, the compos have a lower offset to clear larger tires. While I don't remember it being a lot (+.5") the tires would be the biggest variable. I would safe oversizing doesn't necessarily change the track, but tire pressure would. Less air would create more tire bulge and generate a larger contact patch. I don't think that it would be too bad though

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll start the fun. It's been a while since I've dug into the wheel / tire stuff.

If I remember right, the compos have a lower offset to clear larger tires. While I don't remember it being a lot (+.5") the tires would be the biggest variable. I would safe oversizing doesn't necessarily change the track, but tire pressure would. Less air would create more tire bulge and generate a larger contact patch. I don't think that it would be too bad though
Thanks, there would be no bulging, since we're talking in town, with street pressures.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut