WHEEL and TIRE DILEMMA WITH LR4's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are on stock 20x9.5 Land Rover rims.

Your wheel tire solution looks great! I'm amazed that you were able to find a set of aftermarket wheels in the 20" size that would actually allow the clearance required by the LR4 brake calipers. Aftermarket wheels that actually work with the LR4 seem nearly impossible to find, except the excellent Compomotive 18" wheels that many are running.

I'm running a set of OEM LR4 20" wheels on our 2012 LR4 Lux model (the OEM 20" wheels are actually 8.5" in width so I think that's the major difference in fitment), and I chose the 285/50/20 Terra Grappler G2's which we love very much. Much beefier stance due to the increased width, and really the tallest tire I can run without rubbing issues (we have some extremely minor tire rub when backing up and turning completely full lock, and that is only when turning one direction...I forget whether it's left or right as my wife drives the LR4 daily). We don't experience any rubbing at all on a daily basis, unless it's full lock and backing up.

Thanks...Your sounds pretty sweet as well. Love to see some pix as well...The 285 G2s probably make the stock rims look meaner than ever! Weren't you pleasantly surprised how quiet and smooth the G2's are? I like the rims we chose but I really like the tire choice. I'd be surprised if I ever run anything but an A/T on an SUV ever again...

Guys running 285/50s,

Have any of you had your LR4s' suspension at full articulation with these tires mounted? If so, is there an abundant (or any) amount of rubbing to report? I'm about to order some G2s for my incoming LR4, and because my rig's suspension will be flexed quite a lot, I'd like to know if I should expect excessive rubbing with that size... If it is excessive, I may decide to sacrifice that extra protection and go with 265/50s.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Stealther

Reaction score
The dealer in San Antonio told me they do 10+ sets a year of 275/55/20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s with great customer reviews. Something to think about if considering staying with 20s

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Stealther. I just spoke to someone at LR San Antonio, and they confirmed that they've installed that size on a number of vehicles without any fitment issues, and without messing with the suspension. Super interesting to hear, as I've read many times that in order to avoid rubbing with that tire size, you've got to install the Johnson Rods or reprogram the suspension to sit higher. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they made some adjustments to the steering stops to prevent the rubbing...

bdeets

Reaction score
image.jpg
Where did you get the center Land Rover caps my oem center cap does not fit on my set of voxx wheels

Nigel Braithwaite

Reaction score
Based in UK. LR4 (Discovery here) is hsppy on 255. Fashion and the shopping mall look takes you wider.

BFG do 255/70 r18. Fit those, maybe with a spacer. Load rating something like 120. I don't understand the desire for fitting boots wide enough for a unimog or military truck.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the 20" wheels are not as popular as the other sets but if anyone would like to part with a set of OEM 20" please contact me. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV