Transmission Fault Traction Reduced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z

zdas04

I just started getting this message with a "book" icon in the upper right corner of the message center. In the owners manual the "meaning" is "Information" and the "What to do?" is "No action required".

The dealer said, "if no action is required, then you don't need to do anything" and they didn't have any idea if I could reset it myself.

Does anyone have any idea what this message is trying to tell me and if I can turn it off?

Thanks

David
New Mexico, USA, 2005 LR3 SE

X

xcursion

Have you tried restart the car--insert and turn key to second position. Wait for the system check to run its course, then start the car. Usually this will take care of some of the weird and misc system errors. Hope this helps.....

Z

zdas04

I try to do that every time I start the car. I probably waited for the reset 10-15 times while the message was on.

Yesterday I filled it up with gas and reset both trip odometers. The next time I turned it off the Transmission message was gone and it hasn't been back since. I have a hard time believing that the reset had anything to do with the message clearing, but I don't know what else to think.

David

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zdas04, you should probably have your service center see if they can get any extra information from your vehicle about what happened. I don't think I'd be happy with any "transmission fault" without a reason. Maybe they can get "corporate" Land Rover to explain what that message is for; the owner's guide is definitely useless.

Z

zdas04

I've given up on the dealer asking corporate anything--they have said that they would get me information on three items that they "just can't seem to resolve". When I've tried to call corporate I get surly receptionist-types who won't send me to anyone who knows anything.

Every time I get in the car I cross my fingers, let it boot, start it. If there are no "shut down immediately" messages, no oil pressure lights, and the Nav/Radio work then I figure I'll have a good day. Heck of a way to have to treat a vehicle this expensive, but when it works I love it. Every new nit-pick makes me love it a little less, but I still love it more than I hate the dealer and LR corporate "support".

David

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2006 Owner's Guide was updated to say the following for "Transmission Fault Traction Reduced":

Reduce speed and seek qualified assistance as soon as possible.
Note: Off-road performance will be reduced.

So, the "no action is required" was a mistake in the previous revision. I'd have your service department check it out.

Z

zdas04

grommet,
Thank you for the information.

I just went to the link that you provided and the first item in their e-mail form is "Subject". This is a drop-down list with categories like "Compliments", "Product Suggestions", and "Sponsorship & Donations". I'm sure that each of these categories sends the e-mail to a specific department--none of which is engineering or product support.

Maybe I should go to the "Compliments" item and start with "I drive a tow truck and I want to thank you for the wonderful Christmas that the LR3 has provided for my children".

I think I'll just drive it until I have to call roadside assistance for some really broken thing.

David

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pick a "subject" as close as you can to reality. :) Yeah, pretty silly. The CS folks will transfer comments to the "correct" group if necessary.

re: the tow truck. Hah. :)

Z

zdas04

I think I see a pattern, finally. When I first saw the message we had just had our first cold snap. We had some warm weather and it went away. Now I've noticed that when I start the car with the ambient temperature below about 25F I get the message. After I drive it more than 5-10 miles and turn it off I get the message one more time in the power-down sequence (i.e., when I turn it back on up to an hour later the message does not reappear).

It looks to me like something is going crackers in the cold and the result is an information message that I have a transmission fault. At least the (maybe random)message isn't "THE ENGINE IS GOING TO FALL OUT IF YOU START IT BEFORE TAKING IT TO THE DEALER". Since I saw this I've driven 2,000 miles and it seems to hold every time.

David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635