Trip to Grand Mesa in Colorado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post up some pics from a recent trip with my Dad and Father-in-Law to Grand Mesa to elk hunt (I'm not a hunter, but didn't want to pass up the opportunity to spend time with my Dad and Father-in-Law).

This is the first real trip we've taken the LR3 on. On the highway (from Colorado Springs to Powderhorn and back), loaded down with gear, we averaged over 18mpg at 80mph. To be honest, I was amazed. I expected to be in the low teens.

Once we got to Grand Mesa, we spent most of the time offroad and the LR3 performed flawlessly. We got about 6" of snow the second day we were there, just enough to make all the trails muddy the rest of the trip :biggrin: Fortunately, most of the trails were typically well defined, but they did get extremely muddy and rutted at times.

The scariest (funnest?) moment was right after it snowed - we were on a trail that had a small creak running next to it and only allowed one vehicle through at a time. Of course we came up to another vehicle coming the opposite way and just when I got over as far as I could I slid in to the creek :frown: Amazingly, the LR3 drove right out of it :biggrin: - couldn't have been happier.

My favorite quote (related to the LR3) was from my Dad. He has been looking at buying a Hummer H3 Alpha - after spending time in the LR3 he said "the Land Rover is 10 times better than the H3". :biggrin:

And incase you are wondering, none of us got an elk but we all had a great time nonetheless.

-Rich

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rover2fz1.jpg

rover1ug0.jpg

rover3gv5.jpg

rover4rr7.jpg

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This picture isn't nearly as cool as it could have been - the hill was so steep I didn't feel comfortable having my Dad or Father-in-Law get out of the car to take a better pic, so I stopped here, got out, and took a quick pic and then we drove up another 15 feet or so (it was a spontaneous attempt - I should have had them get out at the beginning). The hill was unbelievable steep, and the LR3 never flinched. Interestingly, there was a pond right behind the hill. We could have easily kept going, but I didn't know how I'd explain to my wife that we rolled the LR3 and the car ended up in the pond :biggrin:

rover5po4.jpg

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool pics. Colorado is awesome, it looks like you went from winter to summer in one picture! You're making me want silver now as well. What kind of tires are you running?

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool pics. Colorado is awesome, it looks like you went from winter to summer in one picture! You're making me want silver now as well. What kind of tires are you running?
We have a saying in Colorado - if you don't like the weather, just wait 24 hours :biggrin: After the 6" of snow, it was in the 60s from then on.

In regards to the tires, we have General Grabber AT2s. So far, I couldn't be happier with them. Quiet on the highway, great in the snow.

-Rich

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice pics Rich, I'm not surprised you rolled up that hill with no problem these
trucks are great climbers.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members