Trying to close doors with too much air pressure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

sierragirl

I'm sort of scared to start another thread since my last few posts got censored (I guess you shouldnt talk about ***, just about the car itself). Anyway, I do have a question about my LR3 and hope someone has an answer.

Half the time when I close a door, it doesn't close all the way. I have to really slam it hard. Someone told me that it has to do with air pressure. So I was wondering whether my car has too much air pressure. Can I have it fixed? Or does everyone else have the same problem closing doors?

And the guy who told me about the air pressure also said that if you get in an accident and teh air bags inflate, if there's a lot of air pressure in the car and nowhere for it to go, then it could burst your ear drums. He said people in minor fender benders have blood coming from their ears because their air bags inflated so quickly and caused a huge buildup in air pressure. Is that something to worry about and can my dealer put some kind of air pressure release in my car?

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid but I'm kind of worried about this.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've got to be kidding. If you want to see if "air pressure" makes it harder to close a door, leave another window or two open and close the same door. Does the door close easier? :)

Really, if your door is noticable harder to close than another LR3 (try one at a dealer), contact your service department and have them fix it.

Regarding air bags causing eardrums to "burst and bleed" due to "air pressure" changes... I guess anything is possible if your ear is right next to the airbag on deployment. Some hearing damage may be caused by the deployment "explosion" (the rapid escape of high pressure air), which is ~170 dB for ~0.1 second. The chance for serious damage is probably pretty slim.... higher if your ear is close to the air bag.

Anyway... this isn't a medical site or an automotive safety technology site. :)

S

schafari

Your car is not air tight. By design it releases air all the time. If your door/s shut hard, perhaps it is an alignment or adjustment.

S

sierragirl

Its not the door alignment, I'm pretty sure. It's always the last door that's hard to close unless I remember to slam it shut. If a window or another door is open, then no problem. That's why I thought my car might be too "airtight" or something.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like said, compare to another LR3 or two... if it's about the same, you have no problem.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey sierragirl, welcome back! Hopefully you have gotten to try out your LR3 for ski trips by now.

My doors are tough to close some time but I like it! I attribute to having a vehicle with solid doors like cars used to have as opposed to those light thin things most cars have these days. Solid door, requires a little more oomph to close! (but will hopefully provide that much more protection if hit from the side)

-todd

T

Tomasz

I guess I missed it.

sierragirl said:
I'm sort of scared to start another thread since my last few posts got censored (I guess you shouldnt talk about ***, just about the car itself). Anyway, I do have a question about my LR3 and hope someone has an answer.

Half the time when I close a door, it doesn't close all the way. I have to really slam it hard. Someone told me that it has to do with air pressure. So I was wondering whether my car has too much air pressure. Can I have it fixed? Or does everyone else have the same problem closing doors?

And the guy who told me about the air pressure also said that if you get in an accident and teh air bags inflate, if there's a lot of air pressure in the car and nowhere for it to go, then it could burst your ear drums. He said people in minor fender benders have blood coming from their ears because their air bags inflated so quickly and caused a huge buildup in air pressure. Is that something to worry about and can my dealer put some kind of air pressure release in my car?

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid but I'm kind of worried about this.
Sorry I missed your other post, may have been interesting. As to air pressure, is this the same guy that told you to use the tire pressure number on the tire and not the one in the manual? Stop talking to him!

Doors on the LR3 are very heavy, and they do take extra effort to close. As others said, compare to other doors on your car. If all of them work similiarly - that is just they way it is. You will get used to it, and and start slamming other doors.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the doors. I can't tell you how many times I have failed to close my door completely. I must be slow to learn as it's been 11 years of land rover door closing now, and I still don't have it down. The good news is that the interior lights go off after a while so the battery won't drain.
As a point of interest, the door closing is getting progressively harder from the range rover classic to the 4.0 to the LR3. I think it's a combination of heavier doors and better door seals.

I second the motion of not listening to that guy anymore.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72