Underbody splash shields...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey all. I just had my new-to-me 2016 in for an inspection. Apparently it's missing both underbody splash shields.

A quick search turns up a mix of opinions...some people saying to trash them, don't need them...others insisting you do.

What says the collective wisdom here? They're plastic so I know they aren't doing what a skid plate would do in terms of protection...do they matter for general road grit/grime/spray coverage?

Reaction score
Yes - you are correct. Misunderstanding with the shop...it's the two metal plates near the front. I'm thinking I should go ahead and replace them.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes - you are correct. Misunderstanding with the shop...it's the two metal plates near the front. I'm thinking I should go ahead and replace them.

I would, they cover the oil pan and transmission.

I have no idea how much OEM skidplates are, but there are a lot of aftermarket options that could be better/cheaper.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d look at a car breakers if one is near you. But I’d definitely look at replacing. The original lr ones are pretty heavy gauge steel for what it’s worth so don’t discount them if you can get them cheap.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think I found used ones on ebay that'll work with a little reconditioning. Now to figure out the fasteners...

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Just keep in mind, the skid plates for the 10-13 are slightly different from the 14-16. If it was me, I'd get the asfir 4x4 plates. I have them and love them.

Reaction score
Thanks! Unfortunately out of stock but I think I can piece most of it together via mcmaster.

Contemplating the ASFIR...

This is a good example of why even with a 'certified' car, a PPO is a good idea - esp when buying sight-unseen. The car came with a 90-day warranty that's pretty exhaustive, but these being completely missing wasn't part of the coverage.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given how important the overall condition of a used Rover is prior to purchase, I wouldn't have given a second thought to buying one without the skid plates if it was otherwise well taken care of.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM