Update on my HSE Nav issue..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to get anyone off topic, but namenda, where did you find the matching Disco 4 badging and what was the removal/replacement process like? I am interested in doing the same.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well all I can do is talk to the lawyer and see where it stands. I have a feeling they will have some loophole that will get them through. I'm still very happy with the vehicle, but it just sucks that it's not what I thought I was getting. Basically instead of getting a good price on an HSE I just over paid for base.

So, MSRP for the car we "think" you bought, base+ccp+sirius+3rd row seats, is $53,250. The MSRP for a HSE+ccp+sirius is $56,225....so about a 3k spread.

The main things that stick out between the two cars are:
  • Nav
  • Rear view camera
  • passive entry
  • folding side mirrors
  • led signature lighting
  • voice control
  • different 19" wheels

Unsure what you got it for, but the listed 50.9k listed represents a 2.3k savings over a new one...not really sure what the market price is for a used car that is only a few months old...but I would think it would be @4k discount, but thats just a guess.

While having a integrated nav with voice control is nice, you can get a portable box for 300 or so that will work well. The rear camera is nice, so is the passive entry...but if you have never had it before, you might not miss it.

They probably will fight not to get the car back, but perhaps you can have a fallback position of asking for a price concession: that 3k delta perhaps? I hope it works out for you...

Last edited:

chinochulo

Reaction score
I just clicked on the Texas Import Sales link that .all provided, and the LR4 in the photos has base-model wheels, which should have immediately set off the bulls*** radar on their "HSE" claims, especially for a 2012 model. I know this is hindsight, but since Texas Import Sales is located in Dallas, you might have asked them to send the car to the nearest LR dealership to get it checked out prior to purchasing. That is exactly what I did when I purchased my LR4 last month from an out-of-state Subaru dealer. I had the dealer drive the car to the nearest LR service dept and paid LR $100 to do a pre-sale inspection.

Last edited:

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if your local Land Rover dealer would offer a deal to trade it in with them against a fully loaded LR4 / what you want.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A new car takes at least a 20% depreciation hit the first year (read: the first minute) you drive it off; so, a $53k new car becomes an $40k value...draw your own conclusions about whether it's a good deal, or not regardless of whether it an HSE or base

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he bought essentially something similar to a dealer demo if its only a few months or 4k old. You are not seeing those cars selling for 80% of their value......

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a quick search within 500 miles of where he bought the car. Obviously the prices are asking, not selling prices

2 Lux's for 59k, 3 HSE's for 54-57k....all 2012, with between 33 and 11,000 miles on them, dealers only.

in socal, 2 Lux's for 55-59k, 1 base for 48k....again, all 2012, 1,300 to 3,300 miles...

nothing close to your 20% off for a car with 4,000 miles comment....

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to get anyone off topic, but namenda, where did you find the matching Disco 4 badging and what was the removal/replacement process like? I am interested in doing the same.

British Parts Utah online store. I've seen it on ebay also. It's an OEM badge that comes with a template - basically a peel-and-stick process. I used dental floss to get the old badge off then Goo Gone to remove excess adhesive; a hair dryer helps soften the adhesive although the hot summer sun should be enough. The most challenging part was making sure the badge is applied straight and not tilted.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A new car takes at least a 20% depreciation hit the first year (read: the first minute) you drive it off; so, a $53k new car becomes an $40k value...draw your own conclusions about whether it's a good deal, or not regardless of whether it an HSE or base

I'm not sure this is the case any more. I had my 2010 LR4 HSE Lux for exctally 1 year when I traded it in on another make. I took the new car hit, but it was much closer to 15%

I still miss my LR4, would love to have one again. Maybe the next version.

Rob

.all

Reaction score
I wonder if your local Land Rover dealer would offer a deal to trade it in with them against a fully loaded LR4 / what you want.

Are you talking about just trading this in and getting what we want? When this issue came up about it being a base, I asked about it. I was told they would give me $42k for mine so I would be several thousand behind the game... I wish there was a way out of this. I may look into trying to sell it private sale... It's a great vehicle. I had LR do a whole check while I was there and nothing is wrong at all besides the HSE badge.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM