urgent help needed, Canyonville, Oregon, 1/31/15

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sunlion

Reaction score
Hi Folks, My brother was driving his new to him today, 2007 HSE, 104K miles, from SF to Seattle when the rig died on I5 N just south of Canyonville. He got it towed to the 7 Feathers truck stop. He experienced a fairly prompt electrical declined then the it died. It restarted about 45 minutes later and all the check lights slowly came on and it is completely dead now. I believe the alternator failed. Before he purchased it yesterday, he said it had an electircal sounding whine which I now believe was what was the alternator growl of death. If anyone is in the area with a garage and tools or can offer some comfort to a new owner, please let me know. My number is 425 241 8620 and I can put you in touch with him. He has his 14yo son with him who is a bit scared.

I've had an 05 and currently own an 06 HSE so I'm very familiar with the rigs.

Thanks,

Ravi

sunlion

Reaction score
Anyone know of a rover shop in or near Eugene, Or?

sunlion

Reaction score
Update - the 3 restarted this morning after sitting for the last several hours overnight. He was able to drive it from the parking lot of the truck stop to his motel, about 3 blocks. All the warning lights came back on within a minute and he shut it off. Am I still correct in thinking it is the alternator?

sunlion

Reaction score
Now thinking it might just be the battery. He's trying to get AAA out there.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whiny noise points to alternator. Cheap fix. Around $200 IIRC. Good luck!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I concur. I changed the alternator a while back, when I heard the growl.

I say, stop in Eugene....make a day or two out of it. I don't know of a shop there but it's a fairly large city and I'm sure someone can do an alternator. Sounds like a good father/son adventure for him and his boy. Tell him to stop at Oakshire Brewing for a good Northwest IPA....or if he wants something better, take old Hwy 99 40 minutes north to Corvallis and stop in at Block 15 Brewing. Their Sticky Hands IPA is a force to be reckoned with.

Not sure beer advice was what you sought...but the moral of the story is that they are in the Willamette Valley...not Yellowknife. This will cost them time and money but should be a fun excursion from reality.

No adventure ever started with certainty.

sunlion

Reaction score
Update - got the manager from Napa Auto in Myrtle Creek to open the Napa Auto in Canyonville where they had the correct battery. Switched it out and voila, back on the road. They might make it in time for the last few minutes of the big game. Unless it's the alternator, in which case it will be dejavu. So far so good, 2 hours driving with the new battery. .

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I predict Dejavu. I'd get the alternator addressed or at least looked at, in Portland...if I were your bro.

Then they can stop in the Laurelwood Brewpub. :)

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't believe Napa didn't even suggest testing the alternator output. But I guess if the big game was almost on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV