Valve Job for a 1995 Disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F

faisal_in_laurel

Ok. I am back. The 1995 Disco with 175K miles. The truck is giving me more trouble than it's worth now. After replacing all the coolant related hoses (The Hose Kit from Atlantic British) the Coolant still dissapears. And there is a leak in the Intake Manifold area (The Gaskets need to be replaced I guess) and it sgetting kinda oily there.

I did a chemical test for Head gasket leak and it is borderline. So possibly the head gasket developed a small leak as well.

Since I am very busy with my work and a new baby (Born on December 18th 2004) I'd probably have someone replace the IM gasket and the Head Gaskets. Should I just get a valve Job done instead and get the IM Gasket replaced?

If I get a indi shop do it how much $$ should it set me back (In the Wash. DC area)? I would really like to turn this truck into a realiable vehicle again.

Help Please.

PS. Also I started to get a whining noise that increases with vehicle speed (Not RPM)......What could it be? Drive Shaft? U-Joint?

Thanks in Advance.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Whinning could be a wheel bearing going bad and or the U-Joint (any clicks?). If you're in Indy I would look towards PT Schram if he is near you. http://www.btlrovers.com/

I can not tell from your post where you are in DC or Indy?

F

faisal_in_laurel

I am in DC metro Area. By saying indi I meant an Independant Mechanic or Shop (Non Dealer).

Thanks for your response. I'll look at the link.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
I know it is very frustrating. The whining can probably be fixed by you. Can you tell me if you hear it from under or above the truck? Could be a bad bearing in the water pump, alternator, it has been cold there in DC; therefore the drive belt could be very dry and just need some dressing. It might also be the transfer case or tranny whine (just some thoughts). I am not familiar with your Rover, is the CEL on? Or was it ever on? If so what codes were pulled?

Theoretically speaking if you have a blown head gasket @ the manifold it can be driven and you could just add the coolant as you lose it. That is certainly a viable option, however should not be done indefinitely (IMHO). I think @ this point you need to decide what the Rover is worth to you. A valve job will run close $1600 or thereabouts. These are just my thoughts. I have seen a 3.9 go to 345K miles..Good luck. I can certainly say that I feel your pain.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Melissa :)))

Faisal - look at the loosing coolant at slow pace as another good way to keep insides of yer engine clean and shiny. Valve job, when done throughly and nicely, about 1200-2000$ altough i may be off a tick - just prices from top of me head.

Whiny noise can be all sorts of stuff - from wheel bearings to driveshaft u-joints. You need to narrow area a bit, but listening to truck when it runs on stands. Or can verify bearings by just trying to shake wheels, holding at 6&12. If it shaking in that direction - time to get hubs repacked and bearings replaced.

F

faisal_in_laurel

RoverChic and Sergei...Thanks. I'll try to answer one at a time.

RoverChic,

The sound is from under the truck. The sound is barely audible at low speeds (up 35 mph and none at idle) but gradually increases as the speed increases. At first it may be the Tranny but the level of noise does not fluctuate as the truck shifts gears (IE. the sound does not become high at higher RPM at 3rd gear and then low at lower RPM at 4th. The CEL is not on and was not on before.

Thanks for feeling my pain. I called a local tech and he is saying $2600 for a Valve job.

Sergei,

So you think I should get a Valve Job done? I won't mind spending the money as long as I can rely on the truck for another 50K miles.

The hubs have been recently repacked and the brake job performed. The noise still exist. The noise seem to eminate from underneath the center of the vehicle Cabin.

Thanks again.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Hey Serg :) :) Long time no talk ;)

To address the whining noise issue: Maybe a U-joint or possibly a CV, RotoFlex (95?), or the drive train. I would probably pull the front driveshaft and take it for a spin, If the noise is gone then you might have narrowed it down; if not then pull the ends off of the hubs and take it for a spin again, if the noise is still there then it is suspension/steering. That is what I did to locate a whining/whirling noise when I had a front end noise which was related to my calipers. Lastly, make sure the fluid is full in the tranny and also the t-case.

I feel that 2600 is a huge chunk of change for a valve job. I would shop around, 2K is decent.

F

faisal_in_laurel

Ok. I found a place that will do the Head Gaskets, Valve Cover Gaskets, Intake Manifold Gaskets and oil Pan gasket for $1200 (Parts and Labor).

Does that sound reasonable?

I will check on the U-Joint today.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, i cant comment on reasonability of prices.. I'd replace them all meself (and i actually did 8)). Take time to get comfy with truck, to know each other :)
While at it may clean lots of crap from engine :)

If you got increasing whine like that -check t-case fluid level. And transmission, too.
May be as simple as fluid going bad. May do differentials oil change as well.

Crawl under truck. Try to shake both drive shafts at each end. If there is any noticeable play in u joints - there you have your source.

But it also can be something as daft as loose mud shield.

Melissa - yup :) long.. been ears deep in things here :(. Fortunately its all over.
Give us a hug :) How is Henry?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM