What to look for? Help appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtiae3569

Reaction score
I found a 1998 Land Rover Discovery LE Sport at a local dealership for what seems to be a good price. It says there are 126k miles and the 4.0l V8. Are the there any known problems to watch out for? Thanks in advance for the help. (By the way i am searching the forums as you are reading this)

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be and you shouldn't be the one to check it out since you have no Rover back ground. Find another shop, pay to have a pre-purchase inspection done, it can save you a fortune in the long run.
By the way, how much are they asking for it?

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are quite a few things to look for so an inspection would be ideal. Catalytic converters, has the air suspension been converted to coil, electrical glitches.

A buddy of mine just picked one up and later found out there was a small crack in the engine block. Things can get expensive quick if you don't have someone knowledgeable look at it. Good luck. Post back with more info if you get the chance.

gtiae3569

Reaction score
Yeah I was most definitely going to have someone do a pre-purchase inspection, but would any 4x4 shop be able to do it or would i need someone that is land rover specific? They are asking 4000. and what other kind of info are you looking for?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't have to pay for more then an hours labor, a compression is not needed.
$4000 is a little high but within range, especially if it is really clean.

gtiae3569

Reaction score
Well I definitely wouldn't call it really clean because the leather has some tears and the shifter looks a little beat up. Also the exterior looks a little rough to and it looks like some of the rubber seals around the windows might need to be replaced. And when I went back to look at it again I saw that it was an LSE not a LE. All that being said if 4000 is to high what is it really worth?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe $2000, there are a lot of 99 D2's going for less then $4000.

gtiae3569

Reaction score
well not to change the purpose of this thread but what are better D1 or D2s?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You Did Change The Topic So Delete Post And Start A New Thread.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112