Wheel/Tire combinations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

San Moritz LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, all,

My 06 LR3 HSE needs new tires. I have plans to get off-road tires. Presently, there are 19" wheels mounted. I know that ideally, 18" wheels would likely be best for optimum tire selection. Has anyone had much experience with off-road tires that are available for 19", or are there are any worth considering?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
In my humble opinion, you really only have two, maybe three, choices for the 255/55R19 wheel. Recognizing that there are more than 50 tire choices for your consideration, it really boils down to what you want.

First, for a dedicated Highway Tire (HT) the choices are plentiful.

Second, if you’re looking for an HT that can venture out onto the road less traveled from time to time, the choices become fewer. Two nice choices would be the Continental TerrainContact A/T. This is the tire that came my 2012 LR4. This would be a great tire for a mall crawler that finds its way on the fire roads or county dirt roads from time to time. The other choice would be the BFG
Trail-Terrain T/A.

And finally, the answer to your question. The best I see it, you one have two options. The Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac and the Toyo Open Country A/T III. I’ve never run with the Toyo tire, but I see it on the trail a lot and they have great reviews. The Duratrac I think is a no brainer. I have had these tires previously, before I swapped my 19” OEM wheels for the Compomotive PD 1880 (18”x8.0”) wheels. The Duratracs are just plain great. They look great and you can confidently go anywhere, over any terrain with confidence. I would classify them more of a hybrid AT/mud tire. They are 3PMSF rated as well. I’ve had them in snow, dirt, gravel, mucky mud and sand. With deep sand, like sand dunes, it can get a little dicey. I’m chalking that up to the tire size. Not much of a sidewall on a 255/55R19 for airing down. Hence, the primary reason everyone eventually decides on taking the plunge and shelling out the dough for 18” wheels. I’m not a fan of wheel spacers which is the reason why I choose Compomotive.

Dean
2012 LR HSE
Tactical 4x4 Front Bumper w/ Line-X
Tactical 4x4 Rock Sliders w/ Line-X
2.5” Johnson Rod Lift
18” Compomotive Wheels
275/65R18 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T

Hello, all,

My 06 LR3 HSE needs new tires. I have plans to get off-road tires. Presently, there are 19" wheels mounted. I know that ideally, 18" wheels would likely be best for optimum tire selection. Has anyone had much experience with off-road tires that are available for 19", or are there are any worth considering?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Duratrac. Here is what they look like on my 19" wheels.

Attachments

• LR4.jpg
    LR4.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20230318_143835.jpg
    IMG_20230318_143835.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 40

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've posted many times I have Duratracs on both my LR3 and my Sequoia and really have no desire for anything else. Factory 19s on the LR and factory 20s on the Sequoia and they perform admirably in all conditions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi