why and why not should I buy LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

simonvl

Reaction score
Hi, I I'm in the process of buying a new suv and I'm looking between LR4 and 4runner I know they are in a bit different class but that's the two suv's that I like the most, and I would like to know the pros and cons of the LR4

Thank you in advance for the info.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just purchased a 2012 LR4 about 3 weeks ago so I still have that new car enthusiasm but I will try to be objective!

Try looking at these links first
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...kee_v8_vs_2010_land_rover_lr4_v8/viewall.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...010_toyota_4runner_trail_edition/viewall.html

In September, I narrowed my search to replace my 1997 Discovery down to the following:

Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (v8, 4x4)
Toyota 4 Runner (probably the trail version)
LR4 HSE
(GMC Yukon)

I purchased the Jeep and after several months of problems, it was surrendered back to Chrysler via the lemon law route. I then immediately bought the LR4. A do over if you will....

I liked the Toyota, but it was a bit basic for me. I think its a far better car off the road than on it compared to some of its competitors. The styling of the cockpit wasn't for me....the Rover is in a completely different class in regards to trim and power...but it's a good 1/3 to 1/2 more expensive

First, here is the emotional response...just buy it. Really. No car is perfect, but after 3 weeks or so, I am still on the moon...and I certainly didn't feel this way about the Jeep last year. If you can find one to rent over the weekend, do so. If its in your budget, you will buy one on monday...its really that good.

Anyway, now for the attempted empirical response:

Pros:
Very luxurious and stately
Amazingly powerful engine
Smooth transmission
Fantastic suspension
superb 4 wheel drive and off road capability
outstanding family car (useable 3rd row seats, fantastic HVAC for all 3 zones..passengers in the middle and back are comfortable)
great stereo/nav/phone/blue tooth set up (at least compared to the Jeep)
Tons of space (but so does the toyota)
Drives like a sedan on the road and like a Jeep off it (not my line, I read it somewhere on a review)
Sophisticated with tons of electronics that hopefully will not break.

Cons:
Fuel economy flat out sucks. Would have loved to have bought the diesel
Towing Hitch design is an embarrassment ...someone should be fired
19 inch wheels have very limited options for off road tires and most 18in wheels do not fit (including the LR3's)
Small sunroof, but that tradeoff is what gives you such great headroom in the back
I wonder about reliability
Low ground clearance compared to some coil vehicles, but this can be mitigated in a variety of ways

When people ask me about the rover, I usually ask two questions:
First: do you want a luxurious 4x4? That eliminates the wranglers, the FJ's, the 4 runners, etc.
Second: Do you want a true 4x4. Low gear, true off road ability beyond simply hitting highway 80 with a bit of snow while taking the family to tahoe. Goodbye X-5, ML's, MDX, etc

If your budget is under 60k or so, you are left with, in my mind, two vehicles: the new Jeep or the LR4. In a one month time span, I have owned both...and there is no comparison. But it does come with a price. Only you can say if your budget can handle it, but if the extra 15k isnt the driving force, you will be very happy with the LR4 over the 4 runner...or the jeep

Last edited:

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did not say anything about what your needs are, what the purpose of the vehicle would be.
I guess you'll get responses from owners and then you'll have to pick the bits of information that apply to your situation.

I'll give you my 2 cents. I have owned more than my fair share of cars. People think I am a bit wierd that I'll change cars so quickly. I've owned Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Ford, Toyota, I've owned 4 hybrid cars and currently own a BMW 335d (diesel). When I purchased LR4 6 months ago I expected it to be just another car that I would own. Now after 6 months of ownership I think this is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned.

In my opinion its 3 or 4 cars in 1 :
(1) Its a great family hauler. Like a mini van it can carry people and stuff.
(2) Its a smooth highway cruiser. Like a Lexus it has a nice and comfortable ride on the highway.
(3) Its an awesome off highway vehicle. Like a Jeep it can take you to places very few other vehicles can take you.
(4) It is a prestigious and stately vehicle and will get attention and deserves to.

No its not the very best at any of those things but its is in the top 5 probably in each of those categories.
Its a bargain for what it can do.

After 10K trouble free miles (knock on wood). I am a proud owner and see myself replacing it with another one and another one after that. I know I will not say that for any other vehicle that I've owned.

Good luck with your decision.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me it's an emotional affair: I like the square design+its uniqueness. (would love to have owned a G-Wagen, but $100k is a bit extravagant)

All-around performer, spectacular looks, imo

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I concur with everyone who posted to this thread. Bromhead provided an excellent reply and he is dead on in everything. I have owned Lexus, Mercedes, and BMW and this is by far my favorite vehicle for many reasons described. Don't get me wrong, there are quirks, but overall this vehicle is unmatched and definitely way beyond the 4Runner.

Best of luck - keep us posted!

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jamgolf hit right on the nail for me. It's the best combination for all that he mentioned.

The one unknown for me that has been proven with the 4runner time and time again is its reliability - it's unmatched by any European or American brand. I love my LR4 but wonder about 5 years from now, if I decide to hold onto it to save on car payments for a few years, whether it will be at the shop too much for my liking. Also, 4runner's maintenance will be cheaper, gas will be cheaper and overall cost of ownership will be alot cheaper.

I would suggest to the original poster to wait a few months as the 2013 4runner will probably be going through a mid-cycle refresh, which usually includes projector headlights, LED tails and some minor exterior and interior updates. Heck, if everyone is lucky and Toyota listens to a few of the offroaders, a v8 option may be introduced too...not likely though. I'm actually waiting on seeing what's in the new 4runner too.

Even with those practical benefits of the 4runner in my mind, I absolutely love my LR4!!

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

simonvl

Reaction score
HI Guys
Thanks for the response, I will mainly use it to transport my toys around, I currently own a nissan xterra 01, toyota prerunner 01, and lexus rx350 12, I'm planning to replace the nissan and the toyota for only one car.

I really like the look of the car and after riding the lexus for the last couple of months I kind of getting to like the soft ride, but it has no space whatsoever, I will not be doing any off road, the most maybe some gravel riding.

The price is not my concern is just that it has some much electronic equipment that I'm afraid that it will spend a lot of time on the dealer for weir issues.

Right now I'm waiting for our local dealer to get a silver and black trim next Thursday, in the mean time I will be following this threat closely.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If off road ability is not a concern, I think alot of other nice suv's start to look attractive...
Diesel toureg, q7, x5 etc...you do pay for the off road ability in weight, ride and fuel economy/range.

Btw, I have a Indus silver and black lr4. Very happy with the look

96_993TT

Reaction score
I've had a 2008 Toyota 4 Runner Limited and sold it after 3 months. It was boring compared to Land Rovers. Don't get me wrong, they're a decent offroader but the interior was really boring. Way too much plastic and didn't have the feel of something that cost in the mid 40's. I ended up getting an 2008 LR3 HSE loaded and while its nothing like the LR4 we just purchased it was a great trouble free car. I took a 6 year break from Land Rover after getting a lemon 2002 Range Rover which we gave back under Lemon Law. Glad I decided to give LR another go and we couldn't be happier.

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just purchased a 2012 LR4 about 3 weeks ago so I still have that new car enthusiasm but I will try to be objective!

Try looking at these links first
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...kee_v8_vs_2010_land_rover_lr4_v8/viewall.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...010_toyota_4runner_trail_edition/viewall.html

In September, I narrowed my search to replace my 1997 Discovery down to the following:

Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (v8, 4x4)
Toyota 4 Runner (probably the trail version)
LR4 HSE
(GMC Yukon)

I purchased the Jeep and after several months of problems, it was surrendered back to Chrysler via the lemon law route. I then immediately bought the LR4. A do over if you will....

I liked the Toyota, but it was a bit basic for me. I think its a far better car off the road than on it compared to some of its competitors. The styling of the cockpit wasn't for me....the Rover is in a completely different class in regards to trim and power...but it's a good 1/3 to 1/2 more expensive

First, here is the emotional response...just buy it. Really. No car is perfect, but after 3 weeks or so, I am still on the moon...and I certainly didn't feel this way about the Jeep last year. If you can find one to rent over the weekend, do so. If its in your budget, you will buy one on monday...its really that good.

Anyway, now for the attempted empirical response:

Pros:
Very luxurious and stately
Amazingly powerful engine
Smooth transmission
Fantastic suspension
superb 4 wheel drive and off road capability
outstanding family car (useable 3rd row seats, fantastic HVAC for all 3 zones..passengers in the middle and back are comfortable)
great stereo/nav/phone/blue tooth set up (at least compared to the Jeep)
Tons of space (but so does the toyota)
Drives like a sedan on the road and like a Jeep off it (not my line, I read it somewhere on a review)
Sophisticated with tons of electronics that hopefully will not break.

Cons:
Fuel economy flat out sucks. Would have loved to have bought the diesel
Towing Hitch design is an embarrassment ...someone should be fired
19 inch wheels have very limited options for off road tires and most 18in wheels do not fit (including the LR3's)
Small sunroof, but that tradeoff is what gives you such great headroom in the back
I wonder about reliability
Low ground clearance compared to some coil vehicles, but this can be mitigated in a variety of ways

When people ask me about the rover, I usually ask two questions:
First: do you want a luxurious 4x4? That eliminates the wranglers, the FJ's, the 4 runners, etc.
Second: Do you want a true 4x4. Low gear, true off road ability beyond simply hitting highway 80 with a bit of snow while taking the family to tahoe. Goodbye X-5, ML's, MDX, etc

If your budget is under 60k or so, you are left with, in my mind, two vehicles: the new Jeep or the LR4. In a one month time span, I have owned both...and there is no comparison. But it does come with a price. Only you can say if your budget can handle it, but if the extra 15k isnt the driving force, you will be very happy with the LR4 over the 4 runner...or the jeep

great post.....the air suspension when off road really is a slick piece of engineering, gives virtual much better ground clearance than anything out there ....if your not gonna go offroad i think the lr4 is a waste of money....get some kind of crossover....

4runner interior is awful, no memory seat option, and just plain ugly.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink