Winshield Chip; Did it break a defrost wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a small windshield chip that I plan on getting repaired before it turns into a large crack.

A crack from the chip does appear to cross one of the defrost wires.

Is there any way to test the defroster to see if a wire is indeed broken? That may determine if I do an insurance covered replacement, or just repair the chip.

Curious if anyone has experienced this or if it is a non issue.

Thanks!

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of a non issue.

First off, I expect the windshield guys will say that they cannot repair the glass. The glass repair guys are usually afraid of heated glass and for the most part run from it.

Just tell them to go ahead anyway and that you will take all the risks.

Perhaps a few of the vertical heating wires will not work but that is just the way it is and really does not matter. Right now prior to the repair, some of the wires near the star either work or do not and there is nothing that can be done anyway.

This is pretty much the reality. A star can take out a few of the wires, but does not take them all out. In winter you may notice a vertical strip perhaps an inch wide that does not heat but that is about it.

Also everytime you replace the windscreen, you risk more trouble from a bad install: wind noise or water leaks taking out interior electronics - that sort of thing. If water drips down on the circuit board behind the passenger side glove box, real money is needed to both find the water leak, repair same, and then replace the circuit board - it is one of those "must be specially coded to the vehicle serial number" back in England type of circuit boards.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks bbyer. Good info.

Safelite didn't flinch at doing the repair.

Good to know that you don't think one broken wire could take out an entire side or large zone of the windshield. I would think a break would take out the entire wire as no current will be flowing through it, but I didn't look closely to see how often the wires dip down to the bottom indicating the end of one loop.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your insurance cover window replacement? I've had mine replaced three times due to window breaks (heated windshield). I think they were all covered by insurance. I did have one bad install (small leak), but the installer just put another window in and everything is fine now. I guess my point is that if you had a concern the defroster wouldn't work, I would have ripped it out and had insurance pay for the new one.

2yellowlabs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have two trucks (unfortunately) with several chips and a crack and no issues with heated windshield.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a small windshield chip that I plan on getting repaired before it turns into a large crack.

A crack from the chip does appear to cross one of the defrost wires.

Is there any way to test the defroster to see if a wire is indeed broken? That may determine if I do an insurance covered replacement, or just repair the chip.

Curious if anyone has experienced this or if it is a non issue.

Thanks!
Hey Todd,

It can happen, where a single wire gets severed and a section of the front windscreen defrost will not work. There were pics of this here on the forum a few years ago (may try to find them) which showed a 6" wide section where it did not function.

Yours may be fine - just need to wait and see.

I had a severely cracked front windshield replaced through insurance (fortunately fully covered by State Farm) and the glass company used the identical Pilkington glass as used by LR, only without the LR logo.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I went with the repair for now. Insurance covered the cost, I'll just see what happens I guess...

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing the same. The technician is coming out today. I don't think I am even going to mention the heated glass thing. It's a rock chip about the size of a nickel near the base of the windshield on the driver's side. I just don't want it to develop into a long crack. The heated windshield thing is cool, but the climate here in the Pacific Northwest is pretty mild, generally. I might have occasion to use it a couple times a year. I was actually happy to hear there might be a chance that the majority of the heating wires might still be functional. My assumption is that it was a continuous loop and that cutting any part of it would break the connectivity to all of it. Even if that were the case, I'd rather sacrifice the heated windshield over having the chip develop into a large crack. I could have the windshield replaced for a $250 deductible, but I am spooked that it won't get hooked up right or will leak or cause the ECU to shutdown or whatever. Basically, I'm afraid to have anything done with this vehicle for fear of unintended consequenses.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72