Yakima or Thule Luggage Box with LR Crossbars?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks nwoods. That is just the info I needed.

I think I'll get the Skybox 18. It is a little lighter (than the 21) and thus may be a bit easier to manhandle onto and off of the roof when I need to.

Since it was not mentioned, I assume that the box did not interfere with opening the rear window.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Yak 18 box does not interfere with the rear window opening all the way.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally had a camera with me while the Skybox was on the roof. This thing is great. Goes on and off the car easily and doesn't seem to effect my MPG. Loaded down inside and out I was getting 20.5mpg highway on a mostly 70mph trip.

The box;
DSC_5120-vi.jpg

Gear for the entire family.
Why we go to OBX (this scene of a "crowded" Corolla beach, July 4th week)
My new driver. :)

Anyway, I'm happy with the box. I just stand on the rear tire to access the box once it is on the roof. In addition to all my sporting equipment (why I bought it) it is a great place to store umbrellas, tents, sand toys and any wet gear before/after a day at the beach. And driving to the beach with all this gear sure as heck beats walking it all down there!

bLuLRIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you driving in the sand for a long time? I live in Atlanta and would love to go there!!!

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are driving in the sand for a long time? I live in Atlanta and would love to go there!!!

I'm not sure of the question...

Are you asking if I have been driving in the sand for a long time or if I drove for a while to get to that spot?

Ah, I'll answer both. Yes for many years. No I only drove 2 miles up the beach (of 12 miles available until the VA/NC state line fence). Plus, there is plenty of great offroad options on the other side of the dunes...sand/mud trails and such.

Patriot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump by the original poster - so which luggage box make and model do you recommend for the Land Rover OEM crossbars, which I have already installed on my LR3.

Thanks,

Patriot

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to replace my 12-year-old Thule box. Box is showing a lot of flex and the inside wing nuts are too annoying and all the hardware is really rusted. Switching to Yakima. Guy at Rack Attack showed me you can stand on a Yakima box but a Thule box would collapse. Apparently he thinks Yakima builds a stronger box.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635