'12 to be delivered next week. Your thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd introduce myself to the forum.

I currently drive a 2011 CTS-V as my daily driver, but have an '03 Montero Limited as the inclement weather vehicle. I'm keeping the Montero as a back up and beater, but have put a deposit on an LR4 to take its place and to serve as our weekend, full of kids vehicle. We drove an LR4 a couple of weeks ago and put down a deposit for transport to our dealer (from another one several states away) after driving one a couple of weeks ago.

I have a HSE Lux Ipanema Sand with Ebony interior coming next week. I didn't have time to custom order one and get it before the end of the year (a requirement), so I wasn't able to order the HD package with it. I do foresee myself doing just a little off-road and snow driving and am just a little worried that I might be giving up LRs legendary capabilities and selling points by skipping the Heavy Duty package. Am I worried over nothing, would it be a deal breaker to you?

The other options on the truck are the Entertainment system (wife's one request) and the 20" gloss black wheels. My dealer claims to have never seen this combination before (Ipaneman/Ebony/Gloss Black Wheels). Has anyone else?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
As far as the HD package is concerned, you are not missing much unless you will use the LR4 for some SERIOUS off roading. The LR4 is still a remarkably capable vehicle without the Rear locking differential. As far as rear entertainment, I opted out of that option and went for a couple of iPads instead. Much cheaper, much better, portable, and the kids can do a lot more things than just watching movies.
I am not sure about the combination of colors and options you mentioned so I cannot comment on that.
Good luck and please post pics of the LR4 when you get it.
Thanks,
George

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks George. I agree 100% on the iPad thing and yes the kids have them. It was more of a concession for my wife who holds another view and thinks it will be neat when we go on vacation. She wanted rear entertainment and ebony interior, everything else was up for grabs :) I could have found everything I needed if I were willing to go to Almond, but considering the trucks purpose, I agree that the dark interior will be a little easier to keep stain-free.

The info on the HD Package is what I was hoping to hear, but wasn't sure if it was the case or not.

I'll post some pictures when I get it. Thanks again!

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lucky! You'll love the LR4 and won't miss the locking hd.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

You will not miss the locking rear differential at all, but it is nice to have a full-sized spare. Unless you do serious off-roading, no need for the locking rear diff. Keep us posted and I can't wait to see pictures!

-David

alegrialv

Reaction score
If the picture below are 20" gloss black wheels you're talking about, they are new for '12 so by default that combination is new. He was probably just being enthusiastic for your sake...sigh, dealers.

I ordered an Orkney Grey LUX '12, but man were they were pushing what they had on the lot. Pretty much exactly the specs you said, except one was white and other was black. It's obvious they find that people want the upgraded wheels and entertainment, seeing most buyers won't be using it 4x4-ing.

I ordered one with the HD and Vision package. I'm more of a "what if" personality so opted for it. Diff or not, I'm sure you'll love it Bash.

As far as the entertainment pack, the new larger screens are pretty nice. However, iPads make far more sense because of it's versatility. You can get an adaptor so it hangs and use a bluetooth speaker or earphones for audio. A few friends have those entertainment screens and they get to be a pain because YOU have to control them..."turn on Toy Story dad!" That said, they do finish off the look...nothing like OEM right? It looks pro...so I think it's more of an "if you can afford it" scenario.

But wow, between the wheels and the entertainment, that's like $5500 options...Just don't scratch those 3k wheels! They're beauts.

Attachments

• SALAG2D42CA597751-1c.jpeg
    SALAG2D42CA597751-1c.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 146

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered one with the HD and Vision package. I'm more of a "what if" personality so opted for it.

I perceive myself as the same way. You know- the guy with the generator, bug-out-bag, freeze-dried food, stored water, etc... I don't see myself doing a lot more than than driving in snow and maybe a little off-road in pasture/corn field type terrain, but I have had a hard time not worrying IF I'll ever need it. Our Montero is set up similar (although it does have a 2wd option) with 4x4 Hi, 4x4 Hi-lock,4x4 Lo Lock (center) with the ABS kicking in for control over the rear differential when needed and I've never been stuck. I would like to think that a 9 year newer Land Rover would have at least, if not more capability. If so, that's good enough for me.

The Vision Assist was on my original want list, but it seems that the option has had its share of issues. I went with the K.I.S.S. line of thought (that and I couldn't find the option in the necessary color combination).

I'm still in 100% agreement on the iPad over the screens. It just happened that the desired color combo had the rear entertainment and my wife liked it. I don't think $2,500 is going to break anyone's bank if they are already paying for a $60K+ vehicle, so what the heck. Same thing goes for the $3,000 20" wheels. Would I have ordered them, I doubt it. I probably would have stuck with the $2,500 20" wheel, but it's not a deal-breaker either.

Vision Assist would probably be the best bang/buck option, but I'm fairly sure that I can do without since it already comes with Xenon lights (the lack of that would be a deal breaker since 3 of our 4 current cars have them and I'm spoiled to them). Again, the directional lighting would be nice. I have it on my wife's E350 and my CTS-V, but my daughter's Camaro SS only has Xenon without directional adjustment and it does just fine. I haven't heard of the directional function going out, but since I didn't get it, I'll repeat the Keep It Simple Stupid mantra to myself one more time and hope that I continue to buy into it.

So basically, I have little if any initial concerns even though it is not optioned as I originally wanted. I just hope I can convince myself after getting to drive it a bit that, as stated, I didn't really need the locking rear diff.

I'll post pics hopefully next week. If nothing else, hopefully it will help someone else decide if the Ipanema Sand / Ebony combination appeals to them.

Have a great evening!

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
I
I'm still in 100% agreement on the iPad over the screens.....I don't think $2,500 is going to break anyone's bank if they are already paying for a $60K+ vehicle, so what the heck. Same thing goes for the $3,000 20" wheels.

Careful, bash535i. I tried to make the same $60K argument relative to the price of floor mats (one guy wanted to know where he could get the best floor mats without overpaying for them), but a bunch of people got bent out of shape over it.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to go with the HD package, even though they are really hard to find. I may never need it, but I'm also one of those "what if" people. Also, I figure it will help the re-sale value, since I can advertise it as "rare HD package." Also, I didn't really care about the Vision Assist, but it came with it. I could live without the surround cameras (no problems with mine, but I don't use it very often), but the adaptive HID lights are phenomenal, although I hear that some have replaced the standard bulbs with some after-market jobs that are good too. As for the rear entertainment package, we went the iPad route, too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM