1791 Navigation Hack and NEW 2008 Map Disc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, many of you such as myself use the 1791 hack quite frequently. That said, a new 2008 Disc DVD is out. I've done the same process as before with the 2006-2007 DVD. I've removed the file that blocks the 1791 hack and all works well.

Some people may not trust themselves messing around with creating DVDs and whatnot. That said, if you would to have a copy of your own 2008 DVD with the 1791 hack enabled, I'd love you help a few of you all out again.

If you would like a copy/backup of the 2008 DVD, private message me and I'll fill you in.

Thanks!

Last edited:

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
angasreid, please don't even imply copyright violation in a public forum. (The wink.) Not cool. Especially selling your "backup help" service for $50...

Last edited:

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be easy... No one's doing anything wrong here. I'm simply helping anyone out that doesn't know how to burn a DL-DVD, or have the resources to do so.

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya know what the sad thing is? You're trying to help ppl and make a buck along the way. In this country these days, no matter how tight your disclaimer was, you could get seriously sued if someone paid ya $50 and got in an accident while they were fiddling with their hacked nav. I'm not trying to discourage or encourage you, just pointing out the possibility.

aside, did you hear the news article about the lady who tripped and fell over her OWN kid in a dept. store and sued the store and won??!!

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As with the other thread, I'll help anyone for free... if you are around me in the S.F. Bay Area and can't follow the instructions for whatever reason, bring your original 2008 DVD disc and a blank DL DVD (~$2) and we'll do it "live."

By the way, "fair use" backup rights technically only apply to the buyer and their own physical disc. (Silly lawyers...)

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
angasreid, I understand you are a student trying to make ends meet and all... But what you are suggesting to do here - again - is all wrong, illegal, and just plain contrary to the spirit of this forum, or any forum save for the hackers ones, maybe. We are supposed to help each other out, not rip each other off $50 for a hacked DVD, of which you probably don't even own the original yourself. Speaking of that, "Please provide proof that you legally own the legal copy so we can legally do the legal deed..." :biggrin: I suspect a $50 PayPal payment would be proof positive for you that I own the genuine article? Let's see, 50 bucks for a $3 piece of plastic, a $2 return envelope and about 10 seconds of your time to load a blank DVD and press the "Burn it!" button on your computer. That's some hefty "backup service" fee you charge there, you will make a great lawyer one day!

I am surprised the mods on this forum haven't whacked this thread yet. It didn't take that long for Navteq's intellectual property attorneys to get in touch with the owner of another LR forum where a member made a similar suggestion just last month, and he wasn't even offering to do it for money!

Last edited:

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Navteq still doesn't seem to know where I live, so I'm sticking with the 2005 version for now.

Oh, and IBFTL :biggrin:

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's some hefty "backup service" fee you charge there, you will make a great lawyer one day!

There's really no need for that. Why not pick on hustlers, pimps or gangsters rather than lawyers in this regard? Sheesh . . . never a moments peace, what with that silly Shakespeare line that always gets used out of context. It can be tough to look out for others' concerns all the time and get picked on for doing so, so please have a little sympathy!

(I'm new here, so let me explain that I'm partly jesting and have not practiced in over 10 years, so no worries over this!)

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you mustbeaudi, at least I'm not the only one that sees it this way. Umbertob, there are plenty of people who don't know much about computers. In the US no services are free, that would defeat the purpose of the service and the fact the people were providing it in the first place. So, if you don't have a computer, don't known anything about burning or what a DL-DVD is in first place, and someone said, here's what you want... for $50. Not to mention you're driving a $60,000 car in the first place, so... I think it's a deal.

So, If anyone still has questions about it shoot me a PM.

Last edited:

SoCalLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the issue is more the $50 charge than anything else. If it was $10 maybe it wouldn't have ruffled so many feathers. The spirit of this forum is to help each other out, not make a profit from it. If a profit is desired, this is not the place to post. Put it on eBay or in the classified section.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72