1997 Disco 1 help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fathandracin

Reaction score
I don't know what to do now.I put all 4 o2 sensors in it 2 new converters.Still have the same codes.
P1313 Misfire likely to damage catalyst,bank A
P1314 Misfire likely to damage catalyst,bank B
I have the CAT and EVA blinking.The engine idles great,starts fine.But when you try to give it fuel it won't go passed 2000 RPM.:mad:

fathandracin

Reaction score
when it gets up to operating temp,it gets worse.Can give it any fuel at all.Like it wants to quit.

theshadman

Reaction score
I also have a '97 Disco and am having the same symptoms. I think I have my situation narrowed down to a faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor...(a new one is very expensive). I've taken it to a couple of respected mechanics in my area....

So now I'm looking to find a used one since my Disco is used for weekend driving...If you know where I may find one, let me know....Good Luck!:albertein

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what to do now.I put all 4 o2 sensors in it 2 new converters.Still have the same codes.
P1313 Misfire likely to damage catalyst,bank A
P1314 Misfire likely to damage catalyst,bank B
I have the CAT and EVA blinking.The engine idles great,starts fine.But when you try to give it fuel it won't go passed 2000 RPM.:mad:

Did you clear the codes?

On my reader if any icons are blinking , it's not reading them.

Does it address this in your code reader docs?

If your MAF is bad, you'll get codes, but more importantly, it will not run above 550rpm.
(starts & dies,etc.) when it warms up, what rpm is it idling at?

Does it pop or backfire @ 2,000rpm? (lean)

Have you checked & rechecked your O2 wires?

the more info you give up, the better

luck,greg

fathandracin

Reaction score
It backfires and pops.I have a bluepoint code reader.When it warms up it gets alot worse.Only will run to about 1100.It idling at 800 warm.I spent 650 bucks and still won't run.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a '97 Disco and am having the same symptoms. I think I have my situation narrowed down to a faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor...(a new one is very expensive). I've taken it to a couple of respected mechanics in my area....

So now I'm looking to find a used one since my Disco is used for weekend driving...If you know where I may find one, let me know....Good Luck!:albertein

If you have his codes, then you don't have a bad MAFF. What are you exact fault codes?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On those cats, they are most likely fried, causing too much back pressure which was most like caused by a bad tune up or contamination from too much gas, oil or leaking head gaskets.
Go to a local muffler shop and have them cut out and replace with two after market replacements and you should be set.

fathandracin

Reaction score
i just put 2 magnaflow converters on it last week.Only have run it 5 times with them on.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you download the free rave cd?
I'd read SFI-fuel systems-operations pertaining to fuel & ign sys - the fuel has multiple sensors to regulate fuel flow based on temp. (you said it gets worse when warmed up.)

I wouldn't thro' any more money at it until you get it sorted.

If it's popping thru the intake, it's lean, its that simple

If it's seems that it's starving as you rev it, it's lean.

If it starts to stumble as you rev it & popping thru the exhaust, it's likely spark related.
especially under load.

Start with the stupid stuff, put a 50# guage on your fuel rail shraeder, start it up, and see if it maintains over 30# fuel pressure under load - (bad fuel press regulator? or pump)

If it does, likely your pump, filter, regulator are acceptable.

DON'T pull plug wires while running, as you risk ECU damage - (I've done it, I was lucky)
Pull the injector connectors to isolate a cylinder.

Your MAF may be OK, but might need cleaning - although I'd think you'd have codes

I'd pull the plugs (keep track of the cyl.) & see if they all look the same, and what condition.

luck,greg

fathandracin

Reaction score
I cleared the codes yesterday.Drove it down the road until it warmed up.Took it to a local shop were they have the soloras scanner from snap on.They have not updated it and don't have land rover in it to read it.We put a fuel pressure gauge on it and it held 30 at idel and when you gave it fuel it went up.As of right now there is no codes showing.I called anther shop in town that has a soloras and he is checking to se if he has land rover on his.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM