1997 Disco 1 help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
perfect, now you can probably discount the fuel pump & regulator

A reasonable code reader/resetter will set you back about $50-70 & comes with the list of codes that most of us use (mine was $50 - ebay, I use it on three different vehicles)(SORRY, I JUST RE-READ YOUR BLUEPOINT(NICE)

Keep at it, don't let anyone change parts w/o a guarantee - (but you already know that)

luck,greg

Last edited:

fathandracin

Reaction score
Did you download the free rave cd?
I'd read SFI-fuel systems-operations pertaining to fuel & ign sys - the fuel has multiple sensors to regulate fuel flow based on temp. (you said it gets worse when warmed up.)

I wouldn't thro' any more money at it until you get it sorted.

If it's popping thru the intake, it's lean, its that simple

If it's seems that it's starving as you rev it, it's lean.

If it starts to stumble as you rev it & popping thru the exhaust, it's likely spark related.
especially under load.

Start with the stupid stuff, put a 50# guage on your fuel rail shraeder, start it up, and see if it maintains over 30# fuel pressure under load - (bad fuel press regulator? or pump)

If it does, likely your pump, filter, regulator are acceptable.

DON'T pull plug wires while running, as you risk ECU damage - (I've done it, I was lucky)
Pull the injector connectors to isolate a cylinder.

Your MAF may be OK, but might need cleaning - although I'd think you'd have codes

I'd pull the plugs (keep track of the cyl.) & see if they all look the same, and what condition.

luck,greg
What is the free rave cd?

Brockflock

Reaction score
Had similar issues two weeks ago on my '99 D1. CEL light came on, but my motor was running fine. It had lost quite a bit of gas mileage though.

Mine threw a P1193 code. Basically it was either an O2 sensor or the MAF. Depends on which place you go to in order to get the code definitions.

Anyway, I knew my plugs were old, so I replaced them and cleaned the air filter. I did find some gunk in the intake after the MAF sensor. I cleaned that too.

CEL has not come back. I haven't driven enough to test mileage well, so I can't tell you the results on that.

Just my $.02. Maybe it will help.

Good luck.

Brockflock

Reaction score
Rave CD

Look up Disco Mike. He is listed as a member on this forum. He has a link. If you can't get a hold of him here, he is also on LRRForums.com.

He is very helpful, and is a great resource.

I believe he has a link in his sig line on one of the two forums.

Best of luck.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
reading through I need a wee bit more info.

Does it not run over 2k in park or just driving or both?

Last change of plugs and wires and what type do you currently have in?

Have you tried just unpluging the MAF to see if the issue goes away?

Back firing is normally a bad cam, but this may or may not cause the 2k issue.

fathandracin

Reaction score
reading through I need a wee bit more info.

Does it not run over 2k in park or just driving or both?

Last change of plugs and wires and what type do you currently have in?

Have you tried just unpluging the MAF to see if the issue goes away?

Back firing is normally a bad cam, but this may or may not cause the 2k issue.

It does it while in park or driving.New plugs and wires my brother put them on when he had it.He got the plug and wires from Autozone.I think they are Autolite plugs.

fathandracin

Reaction score
I unpluged the mass air and there was no change in how it ran.It still was missing.

fathandracin

Reaction score
drove it around the block a while ago and raised the hood to look at the engine a noticed the converters was cherry red.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM