1997 Disco 1 help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you found your issue.... now the question is what caused the converters to kick the bucket...

fathandracin

Reaction score
I think you found your issue.... now the question is what caused the converters to kick the bucket...
It is still running the same as it was before I put the converters on it.The converters are only 2 weeks old.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I said on my earlier post, if it seems to be running out of horsepower and or popping thru intake when you rev it, It's lean.

If you cats are glowing red, it's lean or the wrong cats (I think it's lean)

That will destroy your engine eventually.

If you read the rave cd section on SFI-FUEL, you'll see what components control fuel flow @ idle & @ speed.

O2's can cause fits, also -- did you check your wiring to them?

My guess w/o having the truck is TPS, throttle position sensor.

the rave cd tells you how to test it.

luck,greg

Last edited:

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried testing the spark output from your coil-paks? The reason I ask is that I had precisely the same problem you have (and I mean precisley) -yes - nasty backfires through the pipes and no power over 2 grand and that would drop to about 1100 when the engine was good and warm - even lower to 900. Fortunately, I had an Actron III Peak KV T HV tester, which measures ignition firing voltage on distributor and distrutorless ignition systems (will not work on coil-on-plug systems); it cost me a small fortune a few years back and hooked it up (it would probably not cost you more than $15.00 now). Upon demand for an increase in voltage - my coil paks were going down as they could not produce the required spark or anywhere near where they should have been - replaced the entire unit with an aftermarket version from Atlantic British and the problem was solved. I tested everything - I went crazy with my Multimeter - voltages on every sensor and nothing worked until I went after the coil paks.

Hope this helps;

Wolf

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may have been on the verge, as the light won't always come on asap.
(that would be annoying)

remembering the ECU is somewhat adaptive, if this has been ongoing, the previous owner may have just kept resetting the obd2

An interesting test (since I'm not doing it, LOL), would be drive it for awhile and then put the old tps back on.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the MIL light then

luck,greg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM