Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like this '05 has not been out to play much! The transmission lurch is a common theme with early LR3 tranny programming. There is a s/w update that will fix this. Should be covered under warranty, which has expired now. Sounds like the original owner lives in a cave. If this vehicle is on a Land Rover lot they should update the tranny software before they sell it, I think.

Not sure about the fault. I've gotten some strange transmission-related faults in my time too, but none of them have ever amounted to much (knock on wood).

Houm . . .. you're right, you would think that they would update the software during the inspection before they put it on the lot . .. . my '05 had exactly the same problem. It ended up being a bad tranny ECU module . . . .fixed under the extended warranty I bought with it.

I think my LR did live in a cave . .. .'05, 23K miles, non-smoker, was hard to pass up.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@kingfish: TSB for locking rear diff motor? Do you know the number? I've never heard of it...

TECHNICAL BULLETIN
No: LTB00228
Issue: 1
Date: 22 SEPT 2009
Service Parts Warranty Body Shop
CIRCULATE TO:
NOTE: The information in Technical Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional Technicians with the knowledge, tools, and
equipment required to do the job properly and safely. It informs these Technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or
provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by 'do-it-yourselfers'. If you are
not a Retailer, do not assume that a condition described affects your vehicle. Contact an authorized Land Rover service facility to
determine whether this bulletin applies to a specific vehicle.
©2009 Jaguar Land Rover North America LLC Page 1 of 2
SECTION: 205
Transmission MIL Illuminated with DTC P186D Stored - Repair
Procedure
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
LR3 (LA) VIN: 5A000360 - 9A513325
Model Year: 2005 - 2009
Range Rover (LM) VIN: 7A239036 - AA307231
Model Year: 2007 - 2010
Range Rover Sport (LS) VIN: 6A900129 - 7A999999
7A100001 - 9A215620
Model Year: 2006 - 2009
CONDITION SUMMARY:
Situation: The transmission Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) may be illuminated along with Diagnostic
Trouble Code (DTC) P186D, and possibly P080A / P0806, being stored in the electronic rear differential
control module. The driver warning message 'Transmission Fault Stop Safely' may also be displayed and the
Dynamic Suspension may lower. These issues may be caused by the Electronic Torque Managed (ETM) rear
differential motor being energized while the motor brake is still partially engaged, resulting in mechanical wear
of the motor assembly which may lead to a stuck actuator and DTC P186D.
Action: In the event of a customer concern of the above, refer to the Repair Procedure outlined below to
replace the rear differential locking motor assembly and update the rear differential control module software.
PARTS:
LR011036 ................Rear differential motor - LR3, Range Rover Sport Qty: 1
TVK500350..............Rear differential motor - Range Rover Qty: 1
TOOLS:
IDS with latest IDS DVD; software first available on IDS DVD 118.5 Patch File 11
Midtronics PSC-550 Vehicle Power Supply
Refer to Workshop Manual (GTR) for any other required special tools
WARRANTY:
NOTE: Repair procedures are under constant review, and therefore times are subject to change;
those quoted here must be taken as guidance only. Always refer to DDW to obtain the latest repair
time.
DDW requires the use of causal part numbers. Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a
quantity of zero.
Description SRO Time
(hours)
Condition
Code
Causal Part
Configure Rear Differential Control Module 51.90.02 0.20
Motor Differential Locking Renew - Range Rover 51.15.03 0.30
Motor Differential Locking Renew - Discovery 3 / LR3,
Range Rover Sport 51.15.03 0.20
42 NNW508400
Normal warranty policy and procedures apply.
TECHNICAL BULLETIN
Page 2 of 2
REPAIR PROCEDURE
REPLACE REAR DIFFERENTIAL LOCKING MOTOR
NOTE: Global Technical Reference (GTR) lookup sequence is as follows:
GTR Home > NAS > Model > Service Information > Model Year > Workshop Manual >
2: Chassis > 205: Driveline > 205-02: Rear Drive Axle / Differential
1. Refer to Workshop Manual (GTR) section 205-02: Rear Drive Axle / Differential (51.15.03) and replace the
differential locking motor.
RECONFIGURE THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL CONTROL MODULE
CAUTION: Ensure all ignition 'ON' / ignition 'OFF' requests are carried out; failure to perform these
steps may cause damage to control modules in the vehicle.
CAUTION: A Midtronics PSC-550 Vehicle Power Supply must be connected to the vehicle battery
during IDS diagnosis / module programming.
NOTE: When performing module software updates, if IDS displays 'no update required' , select
'tick', then select 'X' in the pop-up window to abort the routine.
1. Connect the Midtronics PSC-550 Vehicle Power Supply to the vehicle battery.
NOTE: IDS must be loaded with software release DVD118.5 Patch File 11 or later.
2. Connect the IDS to the vehicle and begin a new diagnostic session by entering the correct VIN for the current
vehicle.
3. Follow the IDS prompts to read the vehicle configuration.
4. Select 'No' when prompted 'Do you wish to read diagnostic trouble codes?'
5. Select 'tick' to continue.
6. Select the 'Vehicle Configuration' tab when Content Model is displayed.
7. From the Vehicle Configuration menu, configure the 'Rear differential control module' by selecting from the
drop-down menu:
• 'Module programming' > 'Configure existing module' > 'Rear differential control module'
8. Select 'tick' to continue, following all on-screen instructions to complete this task.
• IDS will return to the Vehicle Configuration menu when completed.
9. Exit the current session.
10. Disconnect IDS and the Midtronics PSC-550 Vehicle Power Supply from the vehicle.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kingfish. I got one of these messages a while back (probably 6 months) and the dealer did some software flashing and may've replaced the Transfer Case Control Module. My only guess is that maybe while the message "Transmission Fault Stop Safely" was displayed, IDS showed different trouble codes than those mentioned in the TSB. My dealer service dept is quite competent so they wouldn't have missed this.

I'll have to go back to the paperwork and see if they list the codes that they read on IDS.

Thanks again.

BTW, I haven't had that issue since (knock on wood).

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
worth a double check though as the TSB is only about a year old. If the problem hasn't returned though you are probably fine. When mine went I got the message probably once a month and I could feel the diff staying locked while accellerating through turns in intersections.

drew

Reaction score
Is this something that Land Rover will address out of warranty? These are the exact symptoms I'm having.

TECHNICAL BULLETIN
Date: 22 SEPT 2009
Service Parts Warranty Body Shop
CIRCULATE TO:
NOTE: The information in Technical Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional Technicians with the knowledge, tools, and
equipment required to do the job properly and safely. It informs these Technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or
provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by 'do-it-yourselfers'. If you are
not a Retailer, do not assume that a condition described affects your vehicle. Contact an authorized Land Rover service facility to
determine whether this bulletin applies to a specific vehicle.
©2009 Jaguar Land Rover North America LLC Page 1 of 2
SECTION: 205
Transmission MIL Illuminated with DTC P186D Stored - Repair
Procedure
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
LR3 (LA) VIN: 5A000360 - 9A513325
Model Year: 2005 - 2009
Range Rover (LM) VIN: 7A239036 - AA307231
Model Year: 2007 - 2010
Range Rover Sport (LS) VIN: 6A900129 - 7A999999
7A100001 - 9A215620
Model Year: 2006 - 2009
CONDITION SUMMARY:
Situation: The transmission Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) may be illuminated along with Diagnostic
Trouble Code (DTC) P186D, and possibly P080A / P0806, being stored in the electronic rear differential
control module. The driver warning message 'Transmission Fault Stop Safely' may also be displayed and the
Dynamic Suspension may lower. These issues may be caused by the Electronic Torque Managed (ETM) rear
differential motor being energized while the motor brake is still partially engaged, resulting in mechanical wear
of the motor assembly which may lead to a stuck actuator and DTC P186D.
Action: In the event of a customer concern of the above, refer to the Repair Procedure outlined below to
replace the rear differential locking motor assembly and update the rear differential control module software.
PARTS:
LR011036 ................Rear differential motor - LR3, Range Rover Sport Qty: 1
TVK500350..............Rear differential motor - Range Rover Qty: 1
TOOLS:
IDS with latest IDS DVD; software first available on IDS DVD 118.5 Patch File 11
Midtronics PSC-550 Vehicle Power Supply
Refer to Workshop Manual (GTR) for any other required special tools
WARRANTY:
NOTE: Repair procedures are under constant review, and therefore times are subject to change;
those quoted here must be taken as guidance only. Always refer to DDW to obtain the latest repair
time.
DDW requires the use of causal part numbers. Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a
quantity of zero.
Description SRO Time
(hours)
Condition
Code
Causal Part
Configure Rear Differential Control Module 51.90.02 0.20
Motor Differential Locking Renew - Range Rover 51.15.03 0.30
Motor Differential Locking Renew - Discovery 3 / LR3,
Range Rover Sport 51.15.03 0.20
42 NNW508400
Normal warranty policy and procedures apply.
TECHNICAL BULLETIN
Page 2 of 2
REPAIR PROCEDURE
REPLACE REAR DIFFERENTIAL LOCKING MOTOR
NOTE: Global Technical Reference (GTR) lookup sequence is as follows:
GTR Home > NAS > Model > Service Information > Model Year > Workshop Manual >
2: Chassis > 205: Driveline > 205-02: Rear Drive Axle / Differential
1. Refer to Workshop Manual (GTR) section 205-02: Rear Drive Axle / Differential (51.15.03) and replace the
differential locking motor.
RECONFIGURE THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL CONTROL MODULE
CAUTION: Ensure all ignition 'ON' / ignition 'OFF' requests are carried out; failure to perform these
steps may cause damage to control modules in the vehicle.
CAUTION: A Midtronics PSC-550 Vehicle Power Supply must be connected to the vehicle battery
during IDS diagnosis / module programming.
NOTE: When performing module software updates, if IDS displays 'no update required' , select
'tick', then select 'X' in the pop-up window to abort the routine.
1. Connect the Midtronics PSC-550 Vehicle Power Supply to the vehicle battery.
NOTE: IDS must be loaded with software release DVD118.5 Patch File 11 or later.
2. Connect the IDS to the vehicle and begin a new diagnostic session by entering the correct VIN for the current
vehicle.
3. Follow the IDS prompts to read the vehicle configuration.
4. Select 'No' when prompted 'Do you wish to read diagnostic trouble codes?'
5. Select 'tick' to continue.
6. Select the 'Vehicle Configuration' tab when Content Model is displayed.
7. From the Vehicle Configuration menu, configure the 'Rear differential control module' by selecting from the
drop-down menu:
• 'Module programming' > 'Configure existing module' > 'Rear differential control module'
8. Select 'tick' to continue, following all on-screen instructions to complete this task.
• IDS will return to the Vehicle Configuration menu when completed.
9. Exit the current session.
10. Disconnect IDS and the Midtronics PSC-550 Vehicle Power Supply from the vehicle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9