2011 vs 2013 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6SpeedBowtie

Reaction score
There are a number of threads regarding inquiries of people considering a LR4 purchase, and I intend to contribute to that lengthy list.

The Mrs. and I have decided that an LR4 will be the next vehicle added to the stable. We definitely want the V8, and were thinking of waiting until next March to make a purchase. We recently ran across a 2011 that we are quite interested in with low miles. The carfax looks good. It appears to have all of the options/colors we wanted.

If buying a 2013, we were looking to purchase a HSE with the climate package.

I am curious what key differences there were between the 2011 and 2013. Can anyone provide any information?

- Was the Nav/Radio still an issue in 2011, or was it remedied in 2011?
- If not, is this something that can be addressed by a dealer to update the program?
- Are there any bugs associated with 2011 MY that were addressed in subsequent years?

Curious if there's anything that I'd really be missing by going with a 2011 vs a 2013.

Thanks for any insight!

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think I'll be much help, and I may have the years wrong, but I think there was a software update somewhere between 2011 and 2013 the nav screen and the small lcd screen between the speedo / tach has a different look, and the key fob is also different. Others will have to chime in as I've only had my 2013 since Feb, and have only test driven a 2012 once before dropping the hammer.

All please chime in!

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a number of threads regarding inquiries of people considering a LR4 purchase, and I intend to contribute to that lengthy list.

The Mrs. and I have decided that an LR4 will be the next vehicle added to the stable. We definitely want the V8, and were thinking of waiting until next March to make a purchase. We recently ran across a 2011 that we are quite interested in with low miles. The carfax looks good. It appears to have all of the options/colors we wanted.

If buying a 2013, we were looking to purchase a HSE with the climate package.

I am curious what key differences there were between the 2011 and 2013. Can anyone provide any information?

- Was the Nav/Radio still an issue in 2011, or was it remedied in 2011?
- If not, is this something that can be addressed by a dealer to update the program?
- Are there any bugs associated with 2011 MY that were addressed in subsequent years?

Curious if there's anything that I'd really be missing by going with a 2011 vs a 2013.

Thanks for any insight!

From what I've read, the "big" fix came in 2012 and was allegedly tweaked again for 2013. 2013 also offers the factory black package (wheels, grill, mirrors, lettering, and adds full-length roof rails). Also the LUX models have two more interiors to pick from.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I test drove a few 2012 and 2013 models, and settled on a 2011 HSE Lux.

Entertainment and navigation got a major upgrade for 2012, with new nav interface and additional speakers on the premium sound package. Head rest displays are larger for 2012. I understand that 2012 console display is better (2011 is pretty good...I believe there is a detailed comparison somewhere in the forum).

2013 got the smaller/slimmer key fob. Scan the forum...some people think the new one is "cheap" looking. My 2011 key fob is a bit of a pig, but only occasionally annoys me.

I'm very happy with the 2011. However, I've barely used the nav, so can't really comment on that. Sound is by far the best of any vehicle I have driven (much better than Bose used in Audi's). Fortunately, my 3 yr old doesn't know that he might have had larger TV to watch in a 2012!

Bottom line: If you can save $15K +/- and get the options you want, the differences between 2011 and 2013 are minor, IMHO.

I haven't heard of many gremlins in the 2011 (mostly they seemed to plague the early 2010's). If my 2011 had any gremlins, they were resolved long before I got it. Nearest dealer is ~6 hrs away, so I actually preferred a used vehicle under the logic that bugs would be worked out by the original owner.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I test drove a few 2012 and 2013 models, and settled on a 2011 HSE Lux.

Entertainment and navigation got a major upgrade for 2012, with new nav interface and additional speakers on the premium sound package. Head rest displays are larger for 2012. I understand that 2012 console display is better (2011 is pretty good...I believe there is a detailed comparison somewhere in the forum).

2013 got the smaller/slimmer key fob. Scan the forum...some people think the new one is "cheap" looking. My 2011 key fob is a bit of a pig, but only occasionally annoys me.

I'm very happy with the 2011. However, I've barely used the nav, so can't really comment on that. Sound is by far the best of any vehicle I have driven (much better than Bose used in Audi's). Fortunately, my 3 yr old doesn't know that he might have had larger TV to watch in a 2012!

Bottom line: If you can save $15K +/- and get the options you want, the differences between 2011 and 2013 are minor, IMHO.

I haven't heard of many gremlins in the 2011 (mostly they seemed to plague the early 2010's). If my 2011 had any gremlins, they were resolved long before I got it. Nearest dealer is ~6 hrs away, so I actually preferred a used vehicle under the logic that bugs would be worked out by the original owner.
Congratulations! You will have to post some photos. I have a 2011 and it's been rock solid - no issues at all (21,500 miles).

I hope all is well - I owe you a message! :)

-David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good choice. The differences are minor. And if you find the right fit, that's the key to happiness. Just ask my wife. hahaha

6SpeedBowtie

Reaction score
We waited a little too long on the 2011 we found. Oh well. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the responses everyone!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72