2015 LR4 Car and Driver article

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The V8 demand is a very real thing and 2013 was the last year for it. There are still '12 and '13s out there with plenty of factory warranty, so those are going to be in sought after.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The V8 demand is a very real thing and 2013 was the last year for it. There are still '12 and '13s out there with plenty of factory warranty, so those are going to be in sought after.

I agree-- and they're going to be sought after independent of demand for the six-banger (as stated by several people in this thread).

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 points:

1) Back in 2013 we had several threads discussing the coming change to SCV6. I didn't want to believe it because as an engineer it made no sense to put the new engine for what everyone was saying would be one year. I said if they made the engine change it was because the redesigned LR4 would not come for at least 2-3 years - which at the time sounded insane, given that the LR4 itself was a heavy refresh of a 2005 model. When it was confirmed they would change the engine, I jumped all over one of the last open order spots for 2013s. Glad I did. It seems pretty clear given that I have seen ZERO photos of the new disco, that the redesign wont be here at least until mid-late 2016, or 3 years later. They seem to not have any trouble selling the current one, so why rush?

2) As far as resale, a reason I got a new 2013 was because I refused to pay 40k for a 3 year old LR4 without the options I wanted. It seemed way too high. That I could sell my admittedly low mile (11k) LR4 for 55 or so is simply ridiculous. But it seems to have been as good or better move than I had hoped. It seems pretty clear that a pampered LR4 V8 (especially one with HD pkg & LUX) will always hold up well in value. I also have a feeling the new disco will cost a lot more, which would bolster the LR4 prices.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the current competition to the LR4...they should be selling all that they can build.
- MB GL450 - Will cost at least $10K more than an LR4 with similar options.
- Audi Q7 - Larger on the outside but smaller on the inside. Poor offroad ability. New redesigned 2016 Q7 is hideous.
- BMW X5 - no where near the space of an LR4
- Lexus GX - smaller and really ugly
- Lexus LX - crazy expensive and really ugly
- Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon - Still not considered luxury brands despite the price tag and efforts to play in the luxury league.

tucsontom

Reaction score
Consider my reasoning to buy a LR4 with the SCV6. It came down to that or a new Yukon or Tahoe - while not the off-road beast that the LR4 is - the GM product it is pretty good and gets better mileage. More room. Better reliability. I have a 2004 Yukon with 185K on it and have only done the brakes 2 times - for example. BUT - now- in order to get the GM off-road package you have to not only buy a Tahoe (not available on a Yukon) and not the entry level model. $60K or more. Even with that it still falls far short of the LR4 abilities and elegant/unique look. Once I knew that - the LR4 model and the Land Rover legacy became the tipping point. Buyers of both vehicles rarely use either one off-road but buyers compare and I think LR4 is in a sweet spot against the competition. I am going from a vehicle with 285 HP - that seemed sufficient, to one with more. and Similar albeit lower MPG. MY guess is many of the new LR4 buyers are buying their first one and comparing it to other SUV's not necessarily the V8 LR4. This is how I and I bet others arrived at their decision. The sales statistics support this (and other factors of course) and the fact that we all know the newer LR5 will just not be what we are after. I wanted to get one while I still could and it had to be new since it is a corporate purchase.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A highly underrated benefit of the LR4 is that it is nearly a foot shorter than any vehicle remotely approaching it's cargo space (GL, Q7, Acadia, etc). With a shallow garage at home, the LR4 had virtually no competition in my eyes.

Then add all the other stuff - primarily price compared to German alternatives and how crazy close it was to loaded domestics.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
danrhiggins;157775It is Discovery time. .... the exterior will look like the Discovery Sport only larger. [/QUOTE said:
Just showed a friend the Discovery Sport. She said, with surprise in her voice "wow, that's pretty ugly!"

My sentiments exactly. If a "box" on wheels is not retained, well, I'll just be done with the brand.

1st land rover, 1996 Discovery 1 (gave to family member, 230k miles now)

2nd, 2006 lr3 (bought new, had problems, traded for full new size)

3rd 2007 Range Rover Supercharged, loved it really but needed more practical cargo space. sold outright for almost zero loss ;)

4th, 2004 (bought in 2006 when I saw the brand moving in very different direction, still have it, will never sell it, if engine ever dies, it'll get a TD5 swap)

5th 2007 lr3 bought new. turning 100k miles tomorrow...

Next...? LR4 V8 or nothing it sounds like. There's no amount of TD6 or fancy seats that could make me able to utilize anything like a "larger Discovery Sport".

On top of that, based on current pricing, a fully optioned Disco 5 will cost .... $75-$80k .... Screw that.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A highly underrated benefit of the LR4 is that it is nearly a foot shorter than any vehicle remotely approaching it's cargo space (GL, Q7, Acadia, etc). With a shallow garage at home, the LR4 had virtually no competition in my eyes.

Then add all the other stuff - primarily price compared to German alternatives and how crazy close it was to loaded domestics.

Easier garage fit and more maneuverable on trails and easier to park.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PaulLR3 and Tuscontom, you are spot on. I came out of a 2003 Suburban. I definitely wanted something smaller, but almost $70k for a new Tahoe?!?!?! Come on, GM, you can't just raise the price that much and expect to compete with the "premium" brands if you don't have the premium features - and I could care less about a mobile hotspot, LOL.

Actually, I only started considering the LR4 last year because of the SCV6. Not that I don't love cylinders, but because of the (mildly) better fuel economy. So far, I have been seeing mid-15s for my normal no-highway driving and in the 19s on my first (short) road trip of 60 miles or so on highway.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72