ac switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Im fairly mechanically inclined but I admit that I don't know anything about AC work. I apologize for my ignorance but how do you "hot start it"

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The hot start is where I would go first. Pull the plug to the compressor and jump start it with a 12 volt wire from the battery. You may need to provide both 12v and ground, I can't remember off the top of my head, but I am pretty sure you can't even check freon levels unless the compressor is running.

Reaction score
ok thanks I'll try that. I gues I need to check the plug first and see iif it's got 12 volts coming out of it. If it doesn't I'll have to try to figure out exactly where those plug wires get their power from. I'll still try hot starting it to see what happens.

Reaction score
Ok so I tested the plug on the compressor and I don't have 12 volts. I jumped the compressor and It kicked in and I had cold air. I changed the k108 relay and I checked all the fuses. I also put a NEW ac switch in and still nothing. I pulled the new switch and put 12 volts to it and when I pressed the switch the light came on. SO WHY DO I NOT HAVE POWER TO THE SWITCH NOR THE PLUG?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would check all the fuses. Remember some things go through multiple fuses on a rover. Check them all.

If that isn't it, then it could be corrosion in the ECU, lets hope that isn't the issue.

Reaction score
I carefully checked all of the fuses inside and out twice. I can't determine I where that k170 relay is or if I even have it. I checked the k108 with a mutli meter and it was good but I still replaced it anyway. Anyway to check the ecu for corrosion?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
ECU is on the passenger fender under the hood, it has several plugs going into it and a plastic cover IIRC with battery disconnected remove the plugs and check for corrosion.

I would check all the relays in that section I remember the Emissions reminder is there and 2 or 3 relays...

Reaction score
What's the best way to clean the plugs/prongs on the ecu?
What exactly does that emissions reminder do ? I've got p1313/14 codes and I've changed my o2's to no avail. I was thinking of changing the cats next but I seen that and was wondering it's purpose.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
ECU plugs and connectors - Isopropyl alcohol

Emissions reminder just turns on the service engine soon light (not check engine) on the D1 every 86k miles. pretty much a waste of space and can be removed and thrown out...

The other codes could very well be a dirty MAF Sensor as it will cause odd other codes to appear.

Attachments

• Service engine soon Disco.jpg
    Service engine soon Disco.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
I thought about that. I bought a used one and cleaned it really good with MAF cleaner and put it on. I know that don't necessarily mean anything but it was "supposed " to have come off a perfect running motor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM