And Bing goes the light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
Umm the service light just came on, on my dash (come to think of it where else would it come on? :rolleyes: )
What do you need and how do you check what made it come on?
99D2

P

ParrotheadinALB

not sure if it's the same in the D2. but in the D1 there is a relay looking box, under the passanger seat. I believe it was red and labeled Emisions reminder or something like that. There is a way to reset it, but I just unplugged it and light went out, and no other problems have appeared. There is basically a watch battery in the box that triggers the emmisions reminder when it dies. Hope this helps.

D

discomike

The check engine light on a 99 D2 is just that, a check engine light. When it comes on it is an indicator that there is a hard code stored in the ECU showing a fault, it is not a maintance light as in older Rovers.
You will need to scan the system see waht code show up and repair as necessary.
How many miles are on your truck and is it running differently than before the light came on??
Mike J.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jason, you're talking about the "Service Engine Soon" light on a D1.

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
Ok so how do I scan the ECU what do I need? The disco seems to be running fine, I haven’t noticed anything different on it, and there is around 55k on it

D

discomike

Some of the auto parts store, like Cragin, will scan them for free. Otherwise it'is the dealer.
Mike J.

P

ParrotheadinALB

oops got conused when he said the service light came on.... thought that's what he meant.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The service engine light comes on every 50K or so just so that you will take it to the dealer and get it checked. Mine went off at 90K. The panel on the front right passenger seat hides the box that you need to reset. Pull the panel, and you will see one that has a label with "emissions" written on it. Pull of the sticker, and you will see a small hole. Pul a pin, or small wire in the hole. This will reset the service light. Ask me any questions you have.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL.. on mine it conviniently ripped out already by P/O and labeled as "service engine relay" or something like that with hole pointed at... :)

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uzbad said:
LOL.. on mine it conviniently ripped out already by P/O and labeled as "service engine relay" or something like that with hole pointed at... :)

Was that a .40 caliber hole in it? :biggrin:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM