And Bing goes the light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Slam said:
The service engine light comes on every 50K or so just so that you will take it to the dealer and get it checked. Mine went off at 90K. The panel on the front right passenger seat hides the box that you need to reset. Pull the panel, and you will see one that has a label with "emissions" written on it. Pull of the sticker, and you will see a small hole. Pul a pin, or small wire in the hole. This will reset the service light. Ask me any questions you have.

I have a '96 XD. 57K. CE light just went on. Looked for above mentioned sticker and none there. Instead found my LR CD changer. Suggestions on where to look?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a '96 XD. 57K. CE light just went on. Looked for above mentioned sticker and none there. Instead found my LR CD changer. Suggestions on where to look?
Shamelessly stolen from another site:

Attachments

• Image121.jpg
    Image121.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Image123_.jpg
    Image123_.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 150
D

discomike

Look in the right front passanger kick panel if your looking for a maintance reset relay. Us a paper clip and punch a hole thru the Rover emblym to reset, if it is for mileage, if it is a check enh=gine light get it scanned.
Good luck,
Mike

C

CAWMDO

Slam said:
The service engine light comes on every 50K or so just so that you will take it to the dealer and get it checked. Mine went off at 90K. The panel on the front right passenger seat hides the box that you need to reset. Pull the panel, and you will see one that has a label with "emissions" written on it. Pull of the sticker, and you will see a small hole. Pul a pin, or small wire in the hole. This will reset the service light. Ask me any questions you have.
Slam - I have seen a couple of threads about this "Service Engine Soon" indicator light. Does anyone know if it is possible to turn it off on the 4.6 HSE Range Rovers?

M

Mark

I called LR in a coastal city in NC and talked with the service rep. This 'Red' light does not have a time limit to turn off... Say after 500 miles.
I asked if an OBD II could remedy this light, the answer is some may...

I then asked if I disconnected the battery for 4 days, would that work? Hestitation...in the response as wellllll, it might not come on without more errors...maybe the degree F will become degree C ... problems ....

So, if I poke the hole, will it permanetly disable the Red Light? or what?

I intended to have the 90K maint. perfrom this summer, but I did not want the red light on until then.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
On you '98 disco, check out this and it will solve it, or just remove the little box that is mentioned in here to never deal with it again:

http://204.157.1.3/reset/index.htm

M

Mark

Thanks Joey. I tried the pin push first, with ignition on, and it did not work. So I took it out.
Light is not on anymore.

I think this emission controller is nothing more than a clock. Right?

No feedback to anything else like the ECM/U.

I can drive in peace.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It is basically a mileage clock, at approx 84k miles it will turn on the light, so it will kick it again around 168k approx.

It is a nice money maker for LR when you don't know how to turn off or reset. I have been running without mine for almost 2 years, and no issues.

M

Mark

Rather than suggesting the pin in the hole routine, let's just state that it takes 4 minutes to access the emission control box and disconnect the blasted thing. Quicker and cheaper.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I am sure that would work for some, but others would want a 40 page document explanining that by doing this it will not in any way harm they Land Rover or someone effect any warrenty they may or may not have.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM