Block heater?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trackstar

Reaction score
My spec sheet says my new-to-me LR3 has a block heater. If so, how do I use it (i.e., what type of cord and where does it plug in?)

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There isn't one.

The block heater was intended to be a part of the equipment package, but it was later dropped. From my discussions with way to many people @ LRNA the best answer i received was that even in cold climates (Canada), the vehicle was able to surpass the emissions standards allowed without a preheated engine. All of the paperwork was printed and what not, and there you have it. From what I am told only a few early 2005 Canadian models have it.
We've fooled with using one from an S-Type, (same motor), but the project lost steam. Maybe as the cold approaches, I'll see what I can make work.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edumacate me.

Why would you want a block heater?

I thought only diesels needed these types of things to help them start on cold days.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True to the diesels, but in severe cold, any kind of heat can reduce the strain @ start up. The other benefit is that the heater is functional much more quickly!

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wife's LR3 warms up as quickly as most any car we've owned aside from a couple Volvos, but my little Audi takes miles and miles to produce any real heat. As long as she and the girls are warm and dry, eh?

ccw

Reaction score
My 05 LR3 has a LR block heater installed. I installed it. It is located on the drivers side of the engine block. it is about 3 inches long and 1.5 inches in diameter. the power cord plugs into the end of it.

The purpose of the block heater is to heat up the engine so it will start in extreme cold. It also helps prevent damage that can be caused by cold starts.

Chilkoot

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where.

Okay, so stop holding secrets. Where did you get it?, and how much?

o0OBillO0o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about a Part Number on the the heater so we can see what the dealership or specialty equipment suppliers can resource for us? Should be on the part.

Maybe even easier some one w/ a technical manual that might encompass that part number.

ccw

Reaction score
I asked for it to be installed when I bought my LR3, so I do not know how much it cost. When I took delivery of my LR3, the dealer had not received the heater. Since I live 350 miles from the dealer, they sent it to me and I installed it. I will look to see if I can find the instruction sheet that came with it.

Chilkoot

phurley

Reaction score
LR Block heater part # VUB504640. Cord that goes to it is non-LR part so not sure about that part #.

I was looking into retrofitting a gas version of the fuel burning heater (so I wouldn't need remote start) and tripped across this. It's not really what I was looking for but I filed it away.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM