Blown D1???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
O.K. guys. Let's see what we can get going with this thread. I am seriously contemplating some sort of horsepower upgrade here and I don't care what it costs. What I want to do is do it right. So, I was thinking about adding a supercharger to my XD (1996 XD, 57K Miles). I think the compression is favorable and the engine hood is going to look cool when I glass in the cold air intake. Has anyone ever blown (breathe, not blow up) one of these engines? How will the driveline handle it? I understand these cars have detroit lockers on them. Is that correct? What about the tranny? ***** or tough enough? Or, should I just try to find a 4.6 and bore and ****** that dude, lumpy cam, higher compression, all the other tricks? IF so, what to expect with engine management and direct bolt appilcation to existing driveline? What do you all think and how much can I look forward to spending??? Yes, I know I am crazy for doing this but it's my money and i'll spend it as I please. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.K. guys. Let's see what we can get going with this thread. I am seriously contemplating some sort of horsepower upgrade here and I don't care what it costs. What I want to do is do it right. So, I was thinking about adding a supercharger to my XD (1996 XD, 57K Miles). I think the compression is favorable and the engine hood is going to look cool when I glass in the cold air intake. Has anyone ever blown (breathe, not blow up) one of these engines? How will the driveline handle it? I understand these cars have detroit lockers on them. Is that correct? What about the tranny? ***** or tough enough? Or, should I just try to find a 4.6 and bore and ****** that dude, lumpy cam, higher compression, all the other tricks? IF so, what to expect with engine management and direct bolt appilcation to existing driveline? What do you all think and how much can I look forward to spending??? Yes, I know I am crazy for doing this but it's my money and i'll spend it as I please. :biggrin:
It's your money, 'tis true...but save yourself a headache and don't do it.

Here's why not to do this:
  • You'll end up with a truck that grenades the transfercase when you hit the gas.
  • There are not Detroits on any stock Discovery, so your diffs are not any stronger than the (admittedly pretty tough) stock diffs.
  • Remember it's an aluminum engine, which means less strength if stroked, bored-out, etc., and likely a cracked block at some point.
  • There are ways to install a 4.6 in there, but mods to the bellhousing, engine ECU, etc. balloon your cost into the atmosphere.
If you want a fast, high-horsepower SUV, sell the XD and buy a Toureg or Cayenne. Your truck wasn't designed for horsepower, it was set up to be relatively torquey.

It wasn't supposed to be a screaming highway machine, it was supposed to be able to go almost anywhere in comfort...build on those strengths rather than trying to make it something it's not.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I know, I know. I just want a little more kick and the V8 sounds so sweet right now I can only imagine how much sweeter you could make it. Besides, I wouldn't spend good money on either a Toureg or Cayenne. They're crap. If i'm spending that cash, it's gonna be on a new LR3. The article in Autoweek last week was AWESOME!!!! Back to the subject at hand, I cannot imagine that the stock tranny and diffs couldn't handle an extra 40 HP. Surely so. I'm not talking about a 400 HP fire breather here. Besides, how many blown D1's are out there? I'm going to my Brit Hot Rod mechanic tomorrow to discuss it. Will post more on the subject then. Cheers.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Get a snorkel, exhaust, headers and chip then see how much more power you need.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be confused, but in the totaly lame movie "Leauge of Extrordinary Gentlemen" wasn't Captain Nemo's car powered by a blown Rover V8? I'm sure that being filmed in the UK they probably have access to things that our dreams are made of, slowly decaying in salvage yards all over their country! I may be wrong, but if you get a chance to view the bonus material on the DVD they go into alot of detail on the building of that car. And although the sound may have been added/mixed later, that is one healthy sounding Rover V8. Gotta go now, must rest, very tired. Thank You, LRW.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bigger motor, more power

Reagan,go to http://rpi8.com. They bore and ****** to 5.2 or 5.3 litre, 380+ hp with 400 # torque, more than enough to tear the driveline apart. They have different stages of head work with oversize valves, Piper cams and performance chips. A huffer is asking for trouble, don't do it. I'm running a 4.6 with a Tornado chip and piper cam that passes California smog. Carl...o&o>...
Also try www.rimmerbros.co.uk

[email protected]

Reaction score
Thanks all for the comments. I have been much impressed by what I have seen from the Lund Engine fellas. Even if they are died in the wool Brits. Ha, ha. Seriously, thats an amazing series rover throwing some dirt and sand in 'yer eye. I'm going to drop those blokes a line and see what they would recommend for my D1. I'm not interested in blowing up my engine. Then again, i'm not afraid to either. Also, beemer, i'll have a look at your link as well. And what about that Trojan Horse with the 440 HP Rover? Anything of that person?

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You folkz dont like your current mileage with puny 3.9/4L engines, and yet you trying to
get big liter ones that will eat even more? Why? So you can race with porsche? :)

[email protected]

Reaction score
Serg - I never complained about my mileage. Please make note of that. Heck, I live in San Antonio where one can buy some of the cheapest gas in the country. Besides, it's only gas. Right? If anyone tries to purchase a LR by justifying its amazing fuel economy then they are nuts. These are fuel hogs. No doubt about it. And no, not race with porchse. Merely run up on it at 100 MPH and continue on OVER it. Now THAT would be fun! Cheers!

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reagan, naah.. I just went over few boards where people keep complaining on how miserable their mileage is with those roof racks, huge tires & etc.. :)

Why would you want to go over even 70? Its simply not safe, even on flat I-10. Not only you risking getting ticket, but you risking life and vehicle. They arent meant to go like this, with higher center of weight and all those bolted components that feels like disentigrating at those high speeds.

And there is nothing as soul soothing as pulling all those drag racers from snow in winter.. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM