Coolant smell under the hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rollguy

Reaction score
I have a 99 Disco with a burning coolant smell under the hood. It has very little coolant loss, and no coolant in oil. After reading a few threads, the prevailing opinion is that the valley pan gasket is bad. Is there a recall on this? If not, mine is not under warranty, so I will need to fix it myself. Any other thoughts about the cause? Will it develop into an expensive fix if not fixed now?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
No recall... just normal rover stuff. Mine has had a smell for 7 years... and I lose around a quart of antifreeze every 1000 miles... or if it sits about once a month or so...

I haven't fixed mine yet.

rollguy

Reaction score
No recall... just normal rover stuff. Mine has had a smell for 7 years... and I lose around a quart of antifreeze every 1000 miles... or if it sits about once a month or so...

I haven't fixed mine yet.
Would a dose of radiator stop leak fix it?

LROffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would avoid using radiator stop leak.... The car should still run fine even with the smell. As far as I know, it's no big deal.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with LROffroad, I would not recommend stop leak as it will clog up the already sensitive coolant system.

mayordaily

Reaction score
I have a leak as well, ongoing for about 16 months now with no change. I have to cap off the coolant every week. I plan on a rebuild in the near future so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try a $16 dollar fix---Bar's puts out a product called Liquid Copper Block Seal. It sealed the leak for one week, failed for about 3 days and then sealed up again. It's been 3 months now and not a drop has escaped and no cooling system issues. For fun I looked at the product under a microscope and found it to be merely micro flakes of cooper. They are irregular in size and rough in texture which would explain why it makes a good material to seal up gaskets. I'm with LROffroad, if it's a minor leak don't worry about it---if it's more you'll be facing a gasket job so might as well try this new product.

rollguy

Reaction score
I plan on a rebuild in the near future so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try a $16 dollar fix---Bar's puts out a product called Liquid Copper Block Seal. It sealed the leak for one week, failed for about 3 days and then sealed up again. It's been 3 months now and not a drop has escaped and no cooling system issues.

I saw a similar product that cost about $28. It says that the entire cooling system needs to be drained and flushed (product not compatible with coolant). I may give that a try.

mayordaily

Reaction score
The Bar's Liquid Copper does not require a flush. You simply unhook the radiator hose and pour it in. You will spill some antifreeze when unhooking the hose but simply cap off the coolant reservoir tank when you are done and your good to go. The products requiring a flush scare me as they may coat all sorts of things in your cooling system which may cause blockages. I read in other forums of nightmares with such products. Good luck with what ever you decide to use.

rollguy

Reaction score
The Bar's Liquid Copper does not require a flush. You simply unhook the radiator hose and pour it in. You will spill some antifreeze when unhooking the hose but simply cap off the coolant reservoir tank when you are done and your good to go. The products requiring a flush scare me as they may coat all sorts of things in your cooling system which may cause blockages. I read in other forums of nightmares with such products. Good luck with what ever you decide to use.
I installed the Bar's Liquid Copper yesterday, and we will see how it works.

mayordaily

Reaction score
good luck---give it some time for the product to work it's way through the leak. Let us know if you have positive results as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72