Corrosion on air strut tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did my front brakes this morning and saw this corrosion on the passenger air strut tube. Driver side was fine.

Will probably call the service department on Monday, but has anyone seen this before?

IMG_3584.JPG

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an annoyingly large amount of surface rust all over the underside, including the shocks just like you. I treated it with rest reformer. Seems to be holding so far.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be interesting to have a thread where we post roughly the same angle of our undercarriages (erm ... NSFW??) and year/milage/region, just to see how the rust is going. I try to sand/paint things every once in awhile to keep ahead of it, but its tough to clean all the muck/dirt/mud off first.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be clear, this is a portion of my strut that I do not believe would be visible in standard height. This picture was taken with the suspension in full droop while I was working on my brakes.

My theory is that this portion may have some rubber from the strut that rests against it. Maybe in the winter some salt water got up there and it began to corrode.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I saw the rust in the same way. I have a lift at home so I can get the whole car up at once when changing wheels, etc. I'll be doing my rear brakes next weekend. I'll take photos.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've hit a few unavoidable 2"-6" salt water pools while beach driving in the desert. The underside of my truck looks like a horror show. I always get the underside pressure washed the day after one of those camping trips too. It seems that the salt water does its thing in a matter of hours though.

I can't fathom what a US Northeastern truck looks like after a few winters.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an update, I called my service department and they essentially said don't worry about it unless I get a suspension fault.

That's comforting. Just hope that suspension fault doesn't occur when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112