Cowl Trim replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you live in a hot sunny southern climate, no doubt your "cowl" trim is badly discolored at best and at worst could be the source of major water ingress into the sensitive electronics that reside behind the glove box. The cowl trim is the black plastic that covers the area at the base of the windshield, it also covers the mechanism for the wipers. Over time, this trim will discolor and warp. Some owners on this sight have indicated that the warping is the source of interior water leaks. This is an easy repair that can be done in about 45 minutes. I bought my cowl trim and PD buzzer from Parts. com for about $85.00 including shipping and Florida sales tax.

1. Open the hood. Using a small flat screw driver, lift the round covers off the windshield wiper posts. Remove the nut under each cover. Note the position of the wiper arms, they should be parallel to the cowl trim (not pointing upward or down)
2. If your lucky, the windshield wiper will lift off the post with some upward tugging and wiggling. If not, partially reinstall the nut, turn it back on until it is just proud of the post. Using a rubber mallet or a small hammer, tap on the nut while pulling upward on the wiper. It might take several blows of increasing severity before the wiper comes loose.
3. With both wipers removed, starting from the center, lift and pop the clips holding the trim in place. The number and location of the clips can be observed by looking at the replacement trim. To remove the trim completely, gently lift the A-pillar trim to release the cowl trim.
4. With the trim removed, note the "air scoop" on the passenger side. This protruding scoop is likely the cause of interior water leakage. Cover the forward third of the scoop liberally with duct tape, wrapping it under the scoop.
5. Replacement of the trim is the reverse of removal. Except, before reinstalling the wiper arms, put some anti-seize on the posts.

This easy and inexpensive trim replacement will take years off of the apparent age of your sun drenched LR3.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a PITA. For once I'm glad I live in the non-sunny Pacific NW!

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The passenger side wiper is cumbersome to reach. It might help if you lower the suspension.

Even if you never need to replace the cowl, it might be a good idea to remove it every couple of years if you park under trees. The area under the cowl is a repository for fallen debris and might need a cleaning out.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a PITA. For once I'm glad I live in the non-sunny Pacific NW!

Mine was discolored/warped at 3 years old!!! I built/added a flashing to the fresh air intake for the heater and used SEM Bumper Black to recoat the cowling. Been fine ever since with no leaks and yes it is still warped. Maybe the next time I get in there I will have a replacement on hand

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan, has your LR3 always lived in Oregon? Do you park it outside or in a garage?

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is kept in my garage. The PO I bought it from was local but she bought it as a lease return through one of the local luxury 2nd hand dealers, not sure where it started from....

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I guess I should just consider myself luck that mine looks good (knock wood).

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good advice about replacement. I just paid through the nose to have this done. Mine was leaking where it separated from the windshield.

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody know where this part might be available online? I've checked the usuals like Atlantic British, BPUtah and a few others. By the way, the actual part is referred to as the "Plenum Chamber Panel".

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KWLR3

When you installed a new plenum chamber panel ,is it only hold by those clips to seat tightly on the windshield? When my was warped i had to pull the damaged area out a bit to be able to apply a bead of windshield silicone behind a cowl and then I saw a thin, flexible membrane that holds a very tip of the plastic to the front glass.Is this membrane comes with a new part or maybe it was applied by my dealer" down the road" while fixing a previous leaks on my car , before I fixed them myself for GOOD...hehe

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM