Crankshaft position sensor questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gforce1108

Reaction score
Are you sure the alarm hasn't locked you out?

Pretty sure... Held the hood switch down and armed/disarmed alarm - also locked/unlocked drivers door with the key.

I did more testing today. I ohmed out the ground signal for the fuel pump relay from the ECU to the relay - tests good. Also checked grounds to the ECU since it sends switched grounds to the relay and coil packs. I can see that someone has had the ECU removed at one point (current owner has owned it for 10 years). I'm about out of ideas other than swapping in another ECU.

gforce1108

Reaction score
Owner is looking to purchase a used ECU off ebay. Anything special we need to know? I thought I read somewhere that the ECU and alarm controller were matched/linked? I really didn't come across many hits when searching ECU replacement.

Thanks for all the help.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't do that. If you switch out an ECU, you must also get a BCU from the same donor vehicle or the truck won't start.

gforce1108

Reaction score
Don't do that. If you switch out an ECU, you must also get a BCU from the same donor vehicle or the truck won't start.

Thank you - he is contacting sellers on ebay that have ECUs to see if they have matching BCUs. His does not have SAI so I think he has the information needed to locate what he needs.

It might be a while before he gets them - I think he is trying to buy a newer, more reliable vehicle (this is their only transportation) and will have me fix his DII to use as a backup. With his driveway, he will need it!

RANDOMHOUSE

Reaction score
Same sort of issue DiscoMike

96 DISCO SE7 Starting issues; Warm days ok, as cooler days began; long turn over before grabbing; some stalls at lights etc.Till no grabbing at all ; replaced ECT SENSOR, CPS, & WATERPUMP [LEAKING]; FIRED UP [with the help of starter fluid]; Let sit in garage a few days; No grabbing even with starter fluid. Any thoughts DiscoMike?

Sgt Disco

Reaction score
im sure this issue is fixed by now but for anyone else reading this i had about the same problem after rebuilding my engine. I installed my crank sensor incorrectly my self. I first did it bushing, spacers, sensor, then bolts... thinking why would they have those sleeve spacers if they were not meant to space the sensor it self... well i was wrong. it goes bushing, sensor, spacers, then bolts. I also got a really low RPM reading from my scan gauge... because it is only slightly picking up the fly wheel due to the spacing. fixed the install and it fired right up!

gforce1108

Reaction score
It actually never got fixed.. He bought a newer car and was going to donate the LR to charity. I asked him if he didn't like this charity for some reason :) He has not done so as of last week. My recommendation to him is to find a whole second 'parts' truck and make one good one out of two.

Glad to hear you got yours up and running again. I did think the placement of the spacers was a bit odd and completely understand how/why you'd get them in the wrong location.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9