Disco Vs. LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

penguinpwrd

Reaction score
Hello, all. It's been a long time since I've posted here, but my lease is ending and I have the Solihull itch again. Wanted to get some feedback from you guys on a couple things that might help my make my decision a bit easier. I'm torn between two potential vehicle options:

- An '04 Discovery between 80-100k for around $12k
- An '07 LR3 around 40k - with a 36mo/36k mile service plan - for $30k

There are several pros and cons to each. I'm trying to determine whether the extra twenty grand is worth it for the warranty. A few questions for you guys:

• I have had an '04 Disco in the past, and I recall it's not the roomiest truck in the world. One of the biggest reasons for moving out of my current lease is that now I'm toting a car seat. Have any of you installed a car seat into an '04? How is the fit, with the new, GIGANTIC, super-duper-safe seats? What position do you have it in? In the middle? How is the front passenger comfort?

• I was able to take the LR3 on loan for use for a day, and I find the gas mileage to be really, really bad (like 10-ish). Now, I'm sure it hasn't adjusted to my driving style, but I swear my other Discos did much better in the fuel department. Am I just waxing nostalgic?

• I've dumped thousands into a Rover in the past - most of it with love. However, that was on my '97 D1, which is a different animal than a D2. At 100k, I'm not sure what she'll need, and if the cost will be substantial enough to justify going with the higher payment on a truck that comes with a warranty. Any of your thoughts or experiences here are welcome.

• Lastly, the air suspension in the LR3 sorta freaks me out a bit...but a lot of Discos had it as well. For every horror story I've read on an airbag failing, I'm sure there are 10 other people who haven't posted because they've never had a problem. Am I overthinking, or right to be concerned?

Thanks in advance for any insight here. This community was always the coolest, I hope that's still the case. :biggrin:

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've had both a Disco II, and currently have an LR3. When I had the Disco, I swore I would never own another LR again. Yet when I drove the LR3, I realized that it wasn't anything like any other Land Rover. My LR3 now has over 124k miles. If you are into offroad driving, it is very hard to beat that vehicle. The Disco's are often amazed at the traction the vehicle has. Yes, a D2 can be fitted to be an awesome vehicle, yet there is no way that it gives the balance of comfort, utility and capability that the LR3 provides. My fuel average is about the same as my D2, yet it has been much more reliable than my D2. I did recently have to replace head gaskets and radiator, off warranty on my dime, but I absolutely love my LR3, and it was worth every cent to get it fixed.

Don't be afraid of the air suspension. There are ways to work around that issue now, such as the rod mods, or the newer EAS controls that are just starting to hit the market. There is even a coil/air system out now, that gives the best of both worlds. The LR3/LR4 combines utility, comfort, and performance on and off road that is unique in the world today.

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you mentioned a car seat ill chime in on that only. Theres one thing I love about my LR3 and that is the fact it is an extremely comfortable traveling vehicle, i have put about 50,000 miles on mine in a little over a year and 4 months. It is a fairly roomy vehicle when it comes to a five seat configuration (i have a 7 seater).
When all the kid are riding with us we would put one far rear seat up, and then drop the middle seat, second row to the floor and it felt great to be able to look all the way into the back. That was until i had a baby last november.

Sigh, the second row seating is almost impossible to install a rear facing infant seat into the outboard seats so it must be installed into the middle. Where there is no latch system unfortantly. Now that we are about to graduate to a convertible car seat here soon we are having the exact same problem. Rear facing means center seat. I hate that. Its more difficult to put the little guy in there! Not a huge problem but really ticks me off. I am right now looking at the Combi Zeus 360 car seat for the fact it spins on a base to make things slightly easier. But until he goes forward facing (which will be a while! he's 10 months, 17 lbs only and 27 inches) he will have to stay middle seat riding.

That is my one and only pet peeve with the LR3. You really can't go wrong, it is absolutely a wonderful vehicle! Hope that helps a little in your decision wether or not it is a big deal to you.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What will you be using this new vehicle and be specific?

penguinpwrd

Reaction score
Hey guys - thanks for the feedback.

What will I be using it for? Well, it's a 'Rover...so I'll use it for what it's meant for. I'm sorta in the middle of a deep emotional conundrum with this purchase for a number of reasons.

They both appeal to me for one reason or another. I love the simplicity of the Disco - coil sprung, fewer electronics, etc. However the technology in play in the LR3 is undeniable, and equally capable while providing more room for people. However I'd be lying if I said I trust the air suspension, or the "cross-linked" voodoo over a standard beam axle.

Do I spend the dollars up front for the LR3 and try to stave off the mod bug for as long as possible, or get the super cheap Disco and go nuts out of the gate?

None of these are really your problems...and tons of people come here all the time asking to have decisions made for them, so I won't bother you with that sort of question. It's just good to vent the addiction now and again. Thanks for listening :p

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When asking for help and you are asked a specific question, please be specific if you plan on getting accurate help.
The 2 vehicles are not at all similiar when it comes to their off road abilities.
Rover required all their dealers to set up a mock trail to let people test drive a new vehicle for the experience. They then had all the dealer shut down the trail because too many LR3's were rolling over, see the lower picture. Disco 1's and 2's don't roll over on such simple trails.

Attachments

• 1_LR_Discovery_01-1.jpg
    1_LR_Discovery_01-1.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 109

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's funny, Mike. I've seen this picture a few times and never drew the conclusion that that LR3 had flipped over on that mock-trail. How the hell did that happen? I'm still playing "Forensic Scientist" trying to discredit this photo as being a Photoshop ruse. I've taken my LR3 on my own dealer's mock-trail many times and never rolled over. I don't even see how it would be possible. The driver would have to be a complete ******** and do the absolute stupidest things at every opportunity.

That said, you using this occurence as a means to slander the off-roading ability of the LR3 is a bit ridiculous. The side-slope rating for the two rigs is likely the same from both an oil-pump capability standpoint and a Physics standpoint. Point being you really don't know enough about the situation in the photo to blame the LR3 or its design rather than the driver and his/her inability to negotiate the terrain successfully. Same driver could probably roll a Range Rover LWB! Speaking of wheel base, wouldn't the LR3's 113" WB make it BETTER on side-slopes than the Disco with its 100" WB? Of course CG matters, too.

You actually said "too many LR3s" were rolling...any proof of that, Mike? Or are you simply full of crap?

As for the off-road abilities of each rig, the D2 is good; the LR3 is better. There is really no disputing that.

@jimbiram: coil/air kit that gives best of both worlds? I'd love to learn more about that, if you have a link.

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not trying to "Slander "the LRE's ability, I am stating the know issues. The original question was which is better, I then asked the obvious question, which was never really answered, what is he planning to use it for.
The LRE has had issues from the 2005 own, which have never been really corrected by Rover, bushings, t/case errors, failing front and rear diffs. These alone will slow most people down if they are looking for a good off road vehicle.
The fact that they don't handle angles as well as a D1 or D2 is important, here again, if some is looking for an off road vehicle
As for the enclosed pictures,yes it has been around for a while. Other dealer, such as Scottsdale East and Fatiron have had the same accidents. How do I know, cause I used to be a Rover service managers and still have connection with many people in the know.
Bottom line, this is not a reworked picture and it does happen.
Not sure of your back ground or off road experience with Rover and the LR3, but there are not too many LR3 owners that will take some of our more challanging trails in Colorado or Moab, that is not to say they are not OK of road in either a stock or semi-modified they are not an equal to a Disco, Defender or Classic.
I will be curious to see what this person is going to use it for and buys and one way or the other hope he is happy with what he buys.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"The fact that they don't handle angles as well as a D1 or D2..."

Mike, that's not a fact. That is your opinion. You also offer only heresay as to proving that rolling over is actually a problem. Not sure how you could do otherwise, so whatever.

As for the LR3's known problems...yes, that is true. ...but the D1 and D2 also have their problems, do they not? 3 amigos? Heads...what else?

If I had money to burn, I'd take my LR3 on ANY trail. I would venture to say that the folks you refer to that do not want to take LR3s on trails in Colorado or Moab choose not to because spare body parts are not as cheap for these rigs as they are for Discoveries.

Another Mike quote: "....they are not an equal to a Disco, Defender or Classic."

You're right, Mike. They are not equal to a Disco. They are greater than a Disco, as in:

LR3>D2

Last edited:

penguinpwrd

Reaction score
I never asked "which was better" and I'm not real fond of the tone being used here - as though I'm an ignorant inconvenience. I posted several very direct questions relating to the experiences of forum members on specific topics - and have received some constructive responses.

I'm quite knowledgable when it comes to Land Rovers, but I'll be the first to admit that there are many people out there who know more. I've seen a few of your posts and while I'll concede that you know quite a bit about your vehicle, the manner in which you convey this information and treat other posters here is condescending and sometimes outright rude. I didn't come here to be lectured by my father, I came here looking for some feedback I might be able to incorporate into my decision making process.

While I can understand you get a lot of wannabes here that post questions like "omg i rly luv land roverz i want one BAD they be balla which one shud I get lol?!?!?!?111" - I would not consider myself one of these people, and unworthy of the attitude I'm getting. To those of you who have read and tried to answer some of my questions - thanks very much! :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72