DIY Oil Change for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My service guy just changed my oil and told me he put 10 quarts in because the computer was still telling him minimum. Way too much it seems? You mentioned 8. ?

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please study this thread for how to read the level readout properly and proper capacities. If you have the SCV6 I'd get those 2 quarts out right now and hope you haven't ruined the catalyst yet. I wouldn't even drive it.

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah he never let the engine cool off, just checked it while running so it was still saying low. It is a 2011, not the SCV6. He didn't seem to think it should hurt much but I'm a bit worried. Going to pull out 2 quarts in the morning, good thing his shop is just 2 miles from me.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you "check it while running"? That's not even possible with our electronic gauge, you need to turn the engine off and let it rest for a good 10-15 minutes before you are able to display any type of reading at all, and you really should wait 15-20 minutes anyway to get an accurate level read.

The service manual is pretty clear: a service fill (not the initial fill performed in the UK) takes 8 liters, give or take a few ounces. If you overfill you shouldn't drive or attempt to run the engine, period. I am guessing this is not a Land Rover service guy you are using?

Last edited:

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He told me it was giving a reading of minimum while running. After I drove it home I pulled it up and it was saying maximum and I am pretty sure I pulled that up while running also.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case, something is wrong with your electronic gauge and I would not trust whatever info it displays (my own nightmare scenario and why I miss the good old dipstick.) Can't get a reading with the engine running, it'll say "Not Available" until the engine has been off for at least 10-15 minutes - if it is working as intended.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case, something is wrong with your electronic gauge and I would not trust whatever info it displays (my own nightmare scenario and why I miss the good old dipstick.) Can't get a reading with the engine running, it'll say "Not Available" until the engine has been off for at least 10-15 minutes - if it is working as intended.

^This is correct. It is a gigantic PITA to check the oil level. It must be filled "blind" ran until warm, and then then left to cool for a while.

When I do oil changes I add only what I took off and never more than 7.5 quarts. I am super picky about not overfilling.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A reminder never hurts, alegrialv. This video has been one of the sacred scrolls of this forum and is required viewing for all LR4 owners. Makes oil changes surprisingly fun and satisfying. :biggrin:

Have you given your Landy a spa day via this video yet?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV