DIY Oil Change for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But the graph display won't tell you if it is overfilled. As part of the CPO process, the dealer changed the oil at 13,000 miles before I took delivery of our gray used LR4.

When changing the oil at 20,000 miles, I watched the mityvac fill right to the top at 9 quarts. I put in 8 quarts and the graph display reads full. This is why I prefer to do my own oil changes.

DonFromCanada

Reaction score
But the graph display won't tell you if it is overfilled. As part of the CPO process, the dealer changed the oil at 13,000 miles before I took delivery of our gray used LR4.

When changing the oil at 20,000 miles, I watched the mityvac fill right to the top at 9 quarts. I put in 8 quarts and the graph display reads full. This is why I prefer to do my own oil changes.

Just after figuring out where the service menu was (for some reason I was looking in the centre console main screen hidden menu?) I checked it, and it said "information not available" and the display for oil was empty. Started to freak out. I could be out of oil, or the sensor for displaying the oil level is fried, or the software puked. I pulled the battery for 15m to rule out sensor puke or software. Plugged it back in, and it displays fine now. Weird.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you try to check the oil when cold or right after you stop driving, you will get the "not available" message. Stop driving, wait 10 minutes then go check the display.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But the graph display won't tell you if it is overfilled.

Actually, according to the Owner's Handbook it should.

If the message Engine Oil Level Overfilled is displayed, seek qualified assistance immediately. Do not drive the vehicle as this will cause serious damage to the engine.

I guess it would be fairly easy to suck out a quart or so of oil using a Mityvac if one screwed up and poured too much oil in the sump. Hope I never have to find out, though.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks umbertob, I did not know that. I guess it wasn't overfilled enough to activate the warning message. But I do know that the mityvac pulled out 9 US quarts which is about 8.5 liters.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The initial fill of these engines is 9.5 liters, the service oil/filter fill should be 8 liters, which is almost exactly 8.5 quarts. Although unlikely, I guess it would be possible to extract a bit more than that during a routine oil change (I normally suction out about 8 quarts myself during an oil change, sometimes a tad more and not including the few drops trapped inside the old filter cartridge.) I wouldn't worry about it if we are talking about half a quart or less discrepancy, there is always a bit of wiggle room allowed by those sensors to compensate for the substantial expansion and contraption of the oil volume due to temperature changes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is a post I got off a website some time ago. I just picked up a 2015 LR4 so I have not had to try it but maybe someone that is changing their own oil can test it out.

Landrover manual reset for oil change

Quote:
Warning Devices - Service Indicator Reset

General Procedures
Synchronization

NOTE: Make sure the Land Rover approved diagnostic equipment is not connected to the vehicle.

- Set the ignition to the ON position.
- Open the hood.
- Open the drivers door. NOTE: A service resetting message will appear on the instrument cluster.
- Fully depress both the accelerator and brake pedals and hold for 10 seconds.
- Set the ignition to the OFF position.
- Set the ignition to the ON position and check the message has been cleared.

- If the message remains, repeat the process.

Did no one try the above?

Last edited:

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Umbertob is correct. After not pulling much more than 7 out with my first vac attempt (on cold oil :stupid:) I filled up 7 and then checked every quarter. My display read overfilled so I pulled a quarter back out of the filter housing.

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost messed up today. I added 7 full quarts and then I added the leftovers from an open bottle (1/4 or 1/3 maybe?). I figured that wasn't enough so I added another 1/4 from a new bottle. I always try to underfill slightly in case there was more left in there than I thought and I accidentally overfill.

It took a while on this damn car to warm it up and then wait a few minutes just to be able to get a reading, but it was filled exactly to the top mark. Yikes! Glad I didn't just pour the 8 quarts. The vac sucked about 7.5L which is about 8 quarts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72