DIY Oil Change for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, it makes a pretty big difference if you will be vacuuming it out. If the engine is cold, run it on idle for about 10 minutes, then turn it off and let it rest for another 10 to allow the warmed up oil to drip and collect in the drain pan. And don't forget to loosen the filter cartridge 4 or 5 turns before you start vacuuming, you'd be surprised at how much used motor oil that cartridge will retain if you don't do that.

Ya must be my issue.

I did run it for a couple min maybe 5.... but in 55 degree weather it must not have warmed up as much as I thought.

Also had the filter out while I did this. Id say I got a good 7 liters out.

Last edited:

mko9

Reaction score
I went old school on my oil change, as I have ready access to a lift. Having never done it before, I thought I would try it from underneath rather than shelling out for the pump. Getting the skid plate off and on was not terribly difficult, even without help. That thing does have some heft to it. Like previous gen Discovery, some idiot has the drain plug pointing right at some other engine component, so oil sprays all over, even with a big drain pan trying to catch it. Everything on the top side is the same. So I suppose in the future I will use the vacuum pump option, since the drain plug is idiotic. But it can be done as a one person job if you are cheap or bloodyminded.

On our series 2 truck, the oil drain plug pointed right at the front sway bar (or steering rack, can't remember), and the oil filter drained all over the front diff. Morons.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this on a 2014 or 2015 with the SCV6? I'd like to give it a shot rather than take it to the dealer and just want to be sure that nothing is different before I order all the supplies.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this on a 2014 or 2015 with the SCV6? I'd like to give it a shot rather than take it to the dealer and just want to be sure that nothing is different before I order all the supplies.

Not a thing has changed. Exactly the same as the V8.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, while I am fairly sure oil filter and oil quantities required for service fills are the same for NAV8 and SCV6 gasoline engines, Land Rover now recommends a slightly different oil viscosity, at least on the 2015 LR4 Owner's Handbook. They recommend a 0W-20 oil with JLR specifications STJLR.51.5122. Only oil meeting those specs is - you guessed it - a Castrol EDGE Professional E, which is probably only available through JLR dealers.

Last edited:

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was planning on just using Mobile 1 and doing oil changes every 5,000 - 7,000 miles. I was going to use 5W-20, but I can use 0W-20. Think that will be a problem or should I go with their recommended oil? I hate to pay that price though.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I would do. Also, I'd keep using 5W-20 because I live in a temperate climate, don't see the need for a 0W-20 oil personally.

DonFromCanada

Reaction score
You are talking about a different style of engine. On an engine with no drain plug and a top mounted cartridge style oil filter (i.e. LR4 engine) I feel that it is best to loosen the filter first. This allows the oil in the filter to drain into the oil pan. Then you can syphon the oil out, once the oil is out you can replace the filter. The filter will have had time to drain and it won't be dripping with oil when you pull it out of the housing.
Even if you have a drain plug I feel that it is still better to loosen the filter first. If you drain/siphon the oil then pull the filter the half a quart or so of old oil that was in the filter gets dumped into your oil pan and mixed up with all the new oil.

If your engine has a drain plug and traditional oil filter mounted on the bottom or side of the engine you can do it any way you want.

The service manual states to loosen the filter four turns and then suction the oil then change the filter.

Question to original poster:

Step 15 says check oil with dash computer. Does this mean just verify you don't have a low oil warning light or something else?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Service submenu will read the oil level and display it in graph format within the instrument cluster's TFT display. If you under-filled, it will also suggest how many quarts to add to reach the acceptable fill range. The procedure to access such menu is shown in my video.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72