DIY Oil Change for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did my oil change today. Piece of cake. 7 months and 4000 miles. I expect to be at ~8000 at the 1 year mark, so it's a nice, mid-point oil change for a new car. The oil looked pretty dark.

Dark oil doesn't always mean it's bad. Glad it went easy for you.

Dodge2Dub

Reaction score
For those of us under warranty and wanting to avoid any issues with the dealer associated with running anything but Ford WSS-M2C925-A spec oils, is our only option the Castrol Edge Professional? Considering that Mobil no longer lists WSS-M2C925-A on their oils, are we stuck paying inflated dealer prices ($13/quart in my area, if they have it)?

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of us under warranty and wanting to avoid any issues with the dealer associated with running anything but Ford WSS-M2C925-A spec oils, is our only option the Castrol Edge Professional? Considering that Mobil no longer lists WSS-M2C925-A on their oils, are we stuck paying inflated dealer prices ($13/quart in my area, if they have it)?

This is the older standard. Most high quality oils have a new updated standard and should be no problem.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil page still shows WSS-M2C925-A

http://mobil.cosan.com/en/veiculos/carro/mobil-1-5w-20

"Protection for the maximum interval between recommended oil changes.

Helps to reduce fuel consumption.

Meets the requirements of Chrysler HEMI engines with MDS (Multi Displacement Systems).

Produced using a patented blend of high performance synthetic base oils, fortified with a precisely balanced system of constituents.

Specially designed to help provide unequalled levels of performance, cleansing power and engine protection, meeting the performance standard requirements ILSAC GF-4.

Meets or exceeds: API SN, SN RESOURCE CONSERVING, SM, SM Energy Conserving, SL, SJ; ILSAC GF-4, GF-5; ACEA A1/B1; Ford WSS-M2C925-A, FORD WSS-M2C945-A, WSS-M2C930-A; Chrysler MS-6395.

Recommended by ExxonMobil for applications that require: API CF; ILSAC GF-4, GF-3; GM 6049M."

Dodge2Dub

Reaction score
Even though it's the old standard, basically replaced by ...954-A, the dealers are still using an OE version of the Castrol that still states that it's ...925-A compliant. Due to this, it makes me nervous to run something like Mobil 1, which is aligned to the updated standard, if LR is still insisting on owners using the old standard and if there is a potential of dye or other identifiers within this "old standard" oil.

Dodge2Dub

Reaction score
Mobil page still shows WSS-M2C925-A

http://mobil.cosan.com/en/veiculos/carro/mobil-1-5w-20

"Protection for the maximum interval between recommended oil changes.

Helps to reduce fuel consumption.

Meets the requirements of Chrysler HEMI engines with MDS (Multi Displacement Systems).

Produced using a patented blend of high performance synthetic base oils, fortified with a precisely balanced system of constituents.

Specially designed to help provide unequalled levels of performance, cleansing power and engine protection, meeting the performance standard requirements ILSAC GF-4.

Meets or exceeds: API SN, SN RESOURCE CONSERVING, SM, SM Energy Conserving, SL, SJ; ILSAC GF-4, GF-5; ACEA A1/B1; Ford WSS-M2C925-A, FORD WSS-M2C945-A, WSS-M2C930-A; Chrysler MS-6395.

Recommended by ExxonMobil for applications that require: API CF; ILSAC GF-4, GF-3; GM 6049M."

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_5W-20.aspx#

Now that's very interesting because the US version of that site only references the latest standard.

"Mobil 1 5W-20 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:
ACEA A1/B1
API SN, SM, SL, SJ
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C945-A"

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got to buy whatever you feel you have to, its your car. I have been using Mobil one for 33K miles, change every 7.5K. Will continue with Mobil 1 as long as they are listing the spec as meeting or exceeding.

Dodge2Dub

Reaction score
You got to buy whatever you feel you have to, its your car. I have been using Mobil one for 33K miles, change every 7.5K. Will continue with Mobil 1 as long as they are listing the spec as meeting or exceeding.

Well, the fact that its published somewhere with the exact spec that we need for our warranty is enough for me. I'm not worried about the oil, I've used Mobil 1 on all of my other cars except a BMW M (which also required a dealer only special oil) and have been happy.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few posters who have asked dealers what they use for their oil changes (Jaguar and Land Rover), on other threads, not surprisingly they buy Valvoline by the barrel because is "cheaper". Go figure.

I track an E46 M3, that's an expensive oil change. But if you belong to BMWCCA, at least here, dealer gives me a 10-15% discount on the oil. I get the filter elsewhere. The link below, you can hear that sweet engine with a supersprint racing muffler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaNMT8Vn110

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99