DIY Oil Change for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can now buy Castrol's Edge Professional OE 5W20 locally at my Land Rover indy shop for about $10/11 a quart. Interestingly, the bottles no longer mention "Made exclusively for Jaguar and Land Rover" on the back label like they used to, so I assume that whatever contract of exclusivity JLR had with Castrol for this particular grade of oil must be up and it should become easier to source for us DIY customers. My indy shop buys it directly from Castrol, no problem. You can also find it on eBay now, pretty much regularly, for about $9/bottle - still way too much in my opinion (I can get Mobil 1 at Costco for half that much), but at least prices and availability seem to be heading in the right direction. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castrol-Edg...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3a916819&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealership had the oil in stock the other week when I talked to my service adviser about doing the oil change myself. They quoted me something like $10.57 a bottle.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question. I have my service require pop up when I start the truck. But I'm only 5500 miles since my last pick change.

What else could it be?

Can I have pep boys and the like read my OBD to pull code?

Thanks.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has it been about 10-11 months since your last service? The countdown goes by time or mileage, whichever occurs first. Also, it wouldn't be the first time a dealer forgets to reset the service interval indicator.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree probably not reset. Changed fluids mid jan prior to my 2200 mile trek from Dallas to Cincinnati by way of Charleston sc

Didn't want to tow on old fluids.

Last edited:

TXLR4

Reaction score
Can I have pep boys and the like read my OBD to pull code?

Thanks.

I'd be interested to hear the answer to this...I really don't want to have to drive to the dealer to get this reset, nor do i want to spend $500 on an IID tool

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They may be able to pull diagnostic trouble codes using an OBDII scanner, but not to reset your Service Interval Indicator, if that's what you are hoping for. Blackbox Solutions still sells a CAN bus tool to reset the indicator for the LR3 and pre-2010 Sport that costs less than $100, but unfortunately I don't think they have one for the LR4.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did my oil change today. Piece of cake. 7 months and 4000 miles. I expect to be at ~8000 at the 1 year mark, so it's a nice, mid-point oil change for a new car. The oil looked pretty dark.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99