DIY Oil Change for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Non-OEM Filter Options

Who here has used a Non-OEM Filter and have you had a positive experience?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the Mahle Original OX 774D, available on Amazon for $27 or so (I posted the link in an earlier message in this thread.) Same as the OEM - as a matter of fact, the OEM is a Mahle filter in a Land Rover box, or a Jaguar box depending on the dealership... All of them are made in China. I suspect they all come out of the same factory, stamped with different part #s depending on the cardboard box they go in. :smile:

Last edited:

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the Mahle OX 774D, available on Amazon for $27 or so (I posted the link in an earlier message in this thread.) Same as the OEM - as a matter of fact, the OEM is a Mahle filter in a Land Rover box, or a Jaguar box depending on the dealership... All of them are made in China. I suspect they all come out of the same factory, stamped with different part #s depending on the cardboard box they go in. :smile:

I was thinking of ordering that one to see how it come-pairs to the one I just got from Miami British. I guess I should be more trusting as the one I got from them comes from my own employer. Haha. Funny how things work. Almost think I should have been able to get it cheaper.

I assume you have had no issues with the Mahle?

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No issues.

Good deal. My service guy at the dealership said they had a guy take his RR to an oil change shop and they used a non OEM filter and it caused a loss of oil pressure and killed the engine. New engine costs $30k. Not a bill I want to pay.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, I have used Mann, Mahle, and Bosch in many European cars with no issues. Most car companies don't make their filters, they are made by the aforementioned (big word use here, double points).
My concern with "Miami British part", because I don't know their reputation.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My concern with "Miami British part", because I don't know their reputation.

Well they sent me a part that comes from WorldPac which means they got it from somewhere in china. The brand label is NPN. Which is probably private label for them.

I am going to take the OEM out and make sure that they line up size wise.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil Change SCV6 - Completed

So, finally got the OEM Filter I ordered off eBay and was able to compare it to the WorldPac (NPN) Filter I had previously gotten. Size wise everything seemed to measure up just fine. I will probably use it on the next oil change as it actually seemed to be better constructed in the filter area by being more evenly spaced.

Oil change process was the exact same as Umberto's video shows for the NAV8. Unpacked the MityVac, figured out the correct hoses and rubber connector, loosened the oil filter housing, connected pump and pumped away, pulled dirty filter out of cap and replaced with new filter, used some left over oil in the filter assembly to lube the gaskets on the new filter, added 5 qts of oil (5W-20 Pennzoil Ultra), tightened the oil filter down, added 3 qts of oil, put lid on and let the engine run, took a spin around the block, parked it for 10 min to let the sensor check the level and finished.

I will be sending the oil into BlackStone Labs to be tested so that I have a baseline for comparison against the Pennzoil. After another 6k miles I will take the Pennzoil out and see how they compare and report back.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do we have any new information regarding motor oil? Is it still the case that the only approved oil is sold through dealerships-only and IF you are lucky?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4